Murray Boardtrack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately I'm not too fond of losing the kickstand, I like what it adds to the bike but I also don't want to have to lay the bike down all the time. It looks like I'm defying the fender request too, I think I've found a set of prewar rusted out rain gutter fenders to match the bike... will know for sure tonight. :D It's not boardtrack really, but I think they will be a very nice addition...

Also hoping to score a rusty, ratty original pair of teardrop pedals for this build.

Yup, running fenders for sure. Scored these late last night. Some very rusty rain gutter fenders. 8) Just need some teardrop pedals now...

2qmhqv6.jpg

Thanks a ton to Walker for helping me get the stand mounted right. :lol: It is now properly bolted to the rear axle.

Looks like the bike will be undergoing numerous changes in the near future- will be rebuilding the rear wheel from scratch with a 14 tooth Bendix pre RB hub, adding fenders, and hoping to find some ratty original teardrop pedals.

I had to increase the ID of my grips with a die grinder, but despite that and a nasty sickness all weekend I finally got them on, as well as a crank arm which is not stripped. The bike is riding pretty good right now. I will be rebuilding the rear wheel up soon with a 14 tooth Bendix pre RB hub and am also going to get a spare rear wheel with a 3 speed coaster. :wink: Will eventually be running fenders.

2cr1wz5.jpg

auuzx5.jpg

2cd27c.jpg

mrse1d.jpg

spot on man! maybe it does need fenders. but it looks like it came that way. :wink:

Dude that's looking really good. And if you have to run a kickstand, that's the type to use. Looking forward to seeing it with fenders.

Thanks guys!

Waiting on my fenders still (will be for a little while due to something coming up) but I think they're going to be a great addition. Plans for a fender chopping (playing around to drop the 28" fenders way down on my 26 inch wheels) have been festering in my head for a while, so something may very likely come of that, and while they should retain a very traditional look, it should be interesting... more on that to come with the arrival of the fenders. :wink:

Still waiting on fenders, but in the meantime...

Today I played around with the bike some and installed a 3 speed SA rear wheel I recently got in trade. The bike HAULS like I can't even believe, which is swell, but the hub is intended for a rim caliper brake (no internal braking mechanism) and so it is a little dangerous ATM. :shock: (Pictures when it's daylight again). Will be building another rear wheel from scratch tomorrow...

Still waiting on the fenders.

In the meantime, I built a new rear wheel. It has a pre Red band bendix hub with a 14 tooth cog/driver setup. That, combined with a 52 tooth chainring, makes for quite a gearing setup! It's tough to get started on this thing... but it really hauls when it gets going.

v6rind.jpg

Betetr pictures of the setup to come when the weather is better- it's dark and rainy now.

deorman said:
I would like to see you try to pedal a 552t drive ring! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Yeah, I'd like to try it! :mrgreen: I fixed that typo. :lol: :lol: :lol:

UncleKudzu said:
what? we thought you'd be rolling out the Starbard by now.

Soon. :mrgreen: The first Starbard frame is well on it's way with a whole bunch of parts coming...

Taking this one back to the top.

My fenders finally came in after some complications and they're ready to be chop fitted to my wheels. I'm working on adding a 3 speed SA rear wheel with a 14 tooth Bendix cog (can't wait to try riding that! :shock: SHould be very high geared in that top gear...), as well as a custom made pre Red Band Bendix front drum brake. :wink: I haven't begun creating the Bendix hub yet, but have it pretty well designed in my head and it should be pretty easy to build. If it works, the method should work for converting any two coaster brake hubs into front drum brake hubs. Should have the fenders done really late tonight and hopefully the Bendix drum will be done by Monday...

Well, no time for working on this one today. It looks like tomorrow is going to be bad weather, which means shop time for me. :wink:

Might be using this kickstand afterall-

2hd5heg.jpg

I did, however, get a chance to play with mocking up the fenders for a while. the front isn't going to need nearly as much modification as the back. It makes no sense to me, being that both fenders are for 28" wheels, that the front fits a 26x1 3/8 rim and tire like a glove while the back hardly fits at all. The front should only need several cuts and minimal welding to really fit tight, as well as the brace to be shortened, whereas the rear seems to be needing a series of cuts and a lot more welding in addition to brace work. Shouldn't be too bad all the same.

Well, got the front fender done and on at least. Needs a little tweaking yet. More pictures the fender- and of the brake project- when I have more time later. Looks like the rear fender will have to wait until next Sunday.

s49u8p.jpg

34673hu.jpg

neez5w.jpg

2mwxrat.jpg

Thanks-

Bringing this one back up from the dead again- worked on the brake some this afternoon, and planning to have it done tomorrow. Not laced in, but done and ready to go...

Also started chopping the rear fender finally, and it's going good.

Back