My Boney Finger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BarnesTO
When I started looking at Electra cruisers on there site the Boneyfinger stuck out as the best looking. I went to google and punched in Electra Boneyfinger and I found this site, the more I looked at your bike,the more convinced I was to get the Boney, the other bikes looked cool, but the Boney has the best paint job( just my $.02 worth ), I could not find one in a bike shop within 100 miles and I called em all, I went to my local shop and they had a Ghostrider that they let me ride, it was ok but to long for me, plus I didn't like the way the forks had stops on them and the way it turned, so I read all the reviews on the net I could find and finding this site, I finally ordered it and my wife got a Butterfly, we've had em about a month and love to ride it, reminds me of being a kid agian, way more comfortable than the Mountain bikes we had and never used, BarnesTO, my bike didn't come with the headbadge it looks kinda naked without it so I called Electra and Josh sent me one in the mail, but I haven't put it on yet, I'm undecided, but I notice in your pictures early on you had the headbadge on and now with the new pictures it's not there,I was wondering why you took it off? Your speedometer looks like one I had on a Shwinn in the mid 60's, I also have thought of ape hangers I like the bars but after a long ride they feel to short. 8)

Thanks for the compliments, Impalacat. I'm glad you like the bike....I had been thiking about an Electra for a LONG time, and when I saw the Boney Finger at my LBS, I HAD to have it! I ordered a set of apes when I got it, but I had to wait a while to get them....No looking back now, I love them. They look coooler than the flat track bars it comes with, and they are very comfortable. No biggie swapping them out either. Any other mods/personal touches planned?

About the head badge, I was just examining how it was put on one day and peeled one side up....the thin metal plating creased and it looked like wrinkles up tinfoil so I took it off. It had a kind of cool shaved hotrod look to it, but it did look kinda naked, didn't it? I've since gotten another one and put it on (they were on backorder for a while). I do think it looks better with it. If you put yours on and don't like it, you can always take it back off, but you can't get it off without ruining it.

As far as the speedometer goes, it's admittedly pretty cheesy, but I love its retro coolness. I got mine from Amazon.com, but I've also seen them on eBay for ten bucks or so. The odometer is the coolest feature, I think. Keep us posted and put up some pics if you have them!

No I don't have any pictures, but it's bone stock, for the time being the only thing I'll do is get a chrome bell and maybe a mirror and some ape hangers, how did you get the grips off? just pull and twist like the old days :mrgreen: , looks like theres enough cable for the shifter, did you get your ape hangers off the internet,Electra or a bike shop? I saw your rat fink caps pretty cool, on the stock skull ones, the guy at the shop that I bought it from painted the eyes red, I thought that was cool. Have you seen the bike that looks very similar to the Boney except it's a limited edition and painted a lite blue-ish color, that is really pretty but not pretty enough for that kind of money, I think it was 1200 on the internet., I bought a hitch rack so I could haul them to the bike trails or over to Monterey, it's a Thule and the wheels stand in pockets, I've only used it once so far, just around town to the bike paths, I'm thinkin about getting a cover called skinz to cover the bikes if we take them any distince so they won't get all the road grime on them. I wasn't knockin your speedo I was just amazed how much it looked like the one I had as a kid(1962-63) it looks identical, I have seen them on the internet after seeing yours and they are only 15 bucks or so, but it does look good on your bike, even on my cars I like the plain look so I won't be adding much and since I won't be riding at night I won't need a light. Sorry for so many questions. But is nice to talk to some one who has the same bike.See Ya 8)

I picked up the apes in Pacific Beach and asked the guy at the store how to get the grips off....he said rubbing alcohol. I took a wood barbeque skewer, dipped ii in the alcohol and worked it between the bar and the grip. It lubed it right up and the grip came off. It works the same way for putting them back on....once the alcohol evaporates, the grips stay put. There is more than enough shifter cable, so you don't have to change that.

I know the bike you're talking about, it's called the Double Diamond. It's pricier because it's hand pinstriped by Jimmy C, the same guy who designed the look of the Boney and the Rockabilly Boogy. I've seen one on eBay for something like $700, but I think they were about a grand when they were new, and they didn't build many.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back