My Corvette

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. yea I really like the chainring's brushed aluminum next to the semi-shiny steel cranks and pedals. The chainring is made by origin8 but its called a Rocket. It's discontinued at this point. I got it through Harris Cyclery maybe 2 years ago.

Been on a couple longer rides now on the new cranks and my knees hurt. Mainly my left knee, but that's kinda my bad knee. I haven't had this problem since I adjusted the seat on my 165 cranks. It's true that in short rides the large cranks get me movin faster and maybe help with wheelies (although I may have just been having a good day). I keep going back to this article by Sheldon Brown and specifically this: "Ay, there's the rub! Assuming you adjust your gearing appropriately, crank length has no effect on leverage, it just has to do with the range of motion of the knee and hip joints.

Too long cranks cause excessive knee flex, and can cause pain/injury if it causes your knee to flex more than it is used to.

I learned this the hard way when I bought a used mountain bike that came with 180 mm cranks. I found that it made my knees hurt every time I rode it.

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any deleterious effect from shorter cranks."

The rest of the article: http://sheldonbrown.com/cranks.html

It's definitely an individual range of motion thing. Short cranks make me feel restricted, I can't stand them. After a little arithmetic, I don't think 165mm is short though, that's a standard adult size. Most old 1-piece are 6 1/2", within a couple of mm of that.

sprucemoose said:
Thanks. yea I really like the chainring's brushed aluminum next to the semi-shiny steel cranks and pedals. The chainring is made by origin8 but its called a Rocket. It's discontinued at this point. I got it through Harris Cyclery maybe 2 years ago.
Thanks! Good luck with the cranks... :wink:

this is one of my favorite threads...it not only shows the life cycle of a bike but the creative process as well keep it goin. i dont know how many of my bikes have gone thru the same thing.

Back