My custom rat fink

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great job

That came out great!! nice work :mrgreen:
I think what the grunblings in the beginning were is that most of us have seen some ones DREAM BOAT --turn into a SHIP WRECK and that frame was a higher start point than most of us usually start with.....BUT STOCK--IS--- STOCK and that IS a COOL CUSTOM :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

Once again NICE !! 8)

iRide Custom Bicycles said:
I agree about your Metallica chainguard...fantastic stuff!!! Great looking bike! I bet it hauls .... too.

Dan

hihi the metaliica chainguard was not planned, I was looking for something to hold everything togheter and leave a nice look and i had that belt buckle!
yes the bike ride pretty fast when i pushe it! that was one of my goals! :D

Here's the latest addition to the fink.

a home made kickstand using the 2nd handle like the one i used for the shifter...

00002.jpg

00003.jpg

00004.jpg

Clothespin "n" said:
WOW...... :shock: :shock:
that looks AWESOME,

great Job, The Bike design has all come together very nicely.

Kev.

thanks,

I'm going to switch handlebars next, the riding position with this one is not what i want, i'm too far back and its not confortable.

xddorox said:
Where do you get those wooden handles? Looks real cool. Consider ape hangers for your handlebars man, seriously. :D

they are not wooden, they are big heavy metal handles, they come from an old 1920's printing press, My roommate works at a printing place and they retired one, he saved the handles for me..

as fo the handlebars, I want to go different than what the ratfink usually have..i like the retro styling that the moon bars give, i might go with a set of theses...
i
CHP%204020%20ClubmanBar%20Up.jpg

it would keep the retro styling to the project and get me the position that i'm looking for...

Looking great...

Those bars would be a cool change...and those old press handles are a great touch. It just keeps getting better!!!

You don't see many Ratfink customs, so here is a tasteful one off flea-bay

02f3_12.JPG

fb2a_12.JPG

fdd5_12.JPG

f874_12.JPG

What buddy did:

Wheels were broken down, rims striped of orange paint and then polished to a mirror finish.
Black spokes were replaced with high quality stainless spokes and brass nipples.
Stock tires were replaced with slightly wider better quility tires.
Plastic pedals were replaced with alloy pedals.
Chain was replaced with all chrome Z chain.
Triple tree fork crowns were replaced with heavier duty crowns. Original crowns were striped of there black anodizing and polished.
Stem was replaced with a rare Fishbone stem
Seat and grips were replaced with a more clasic looking set that has a tribal design to them.
Seat post binder was unanodized and pollished.
Seat post was replaced with a laid back post. This was done to give me slightly more leg room as I am 6'2".
All bare alloy was hand pollished.
Chain gaurd was removed to give the bike a cleaner look but I can replace it for you If you want.

I just thought I'd share it as I like the length the builder went to to get the look he desired. Not a big custom, but great upgrade to have a unique 'Fink. The first time I saw one I didn't care for the green/orange, but it grew on me. I'm kinda a Ratfink fan :wink:

I hope to someday get a second 'Fink (maybe a PinkFink for cheap) and do a full custom.

P.S. this bike sold for $605 USD by 'buy now'.

Rock on and keep those details coming.

raleigh boi said:
Nice bike!! im sorry but i agree with the others it did look good in green but the finished product looks great!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dont be sorry! I just did not want the green on that project!

the new bars arrived, gives it a completely different style...I like it, the riding position is just great, the bike is just more sporty to ride, snapier...
1.00010.jpg
1.00008.jpg

Following firewalker's idea to use led headlamps to build bike lights i came up with this one using an old dynamo sanyo globe combined with a headlamp

total cost 4$ since I only had to buy the headlamp, the bracket is mountain bike fender mount...

00004-1.jpg

00002-1.jpg

00006-1.jpg

00005-1.jpg

Back