My first bike build...Pumpkin Orange Racer.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
This is my first build...
Bike001.jpg

Bike002.jpg

Bike003.jpg

Bike004.jpg

Bike005.jpg

I found an old Montgomery Ward - road/mountain type 12 speed someone threw into the woods at an unauthorized dump site. I saw a sad little tire sticking out of all the rubble and decided to take it home. Originally it was kind of red and rusty. I took it completely apart, cleaned everything up and stripped it down to bare metal. I also grinded off or cut away all the extra 12 speed stuff. Lots of body work! 2 coats of rattle can primer and a lot of wet sanding later it started to look a lot better. I bought a used coaster brake off ebay and re-laced the rear wheel to it. (That was rough!)
Grinded down all the rusted chrome and painted it black. (Rims, spokes, bars, neck, chainring etc...)
Switched the straight bar for a better set of handlebars.
Decided on Pumpkin Orange paint. (Kind of looks like a Halloween Bike!
Hit the local bike shop for lot of advice and a new set of pedals, a seat and chain.
My kids and all their friends love it! It never stays at home for a full day. It rides great too.
I know it's not a typical cruiser type frame but I'm sure the next one will be.
Hope you enjoy it... I did...
Pat

Wow! I love the two-color treatment with one being black. I'm working on something like that right now.

Your pumpkin is very clean and simple! It came out VERY sharp! Good work!

Triggerfish wrote:

Your pumpkin is very clean and simple! It came out VERY sharp! Good work!

Thanks! Now for an older bike rebuild...

I like it!......Very well done! 8)

Id be tempted to make a black headbadge that looks like pumpkin eyes,nose and mouth.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Markm said:
Id be tempted to make a black headbadge that looks like pumpkin eyes,nose and mouth.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sounds interesting... any ideas on how to do that?

patkeo said:
Markm said:

Have it cut in vinyl, I'm sure you can find a sign shop that can do it with a plotter or do it yourself with some black vinyl tape and an X-acto knife. I'm not going to say that it looks great for a first build. It looks great period. You have made a very clean and awesome looking bike.

xddorox said:
patkeo said:
Markm said:

Have it cut in vinyl, I'm sure you can find a sign shop that can do it with a plotter or do it yourself with some black vinyl tape and an X-acto knife. I'm not going to say that it looks great for a first build. It looks great period. You have made a very clean and awesome looking bike.

I've got to try that on my next bike! Thanks everyone for all the kind comments and great advice.

Looks like this bike just found a new home. One of my 16 year old sons friends never had his own bike (he comes from a very large family) so we gave it to him. I enjoy finding and building them more than keeping them. Now I have room for a new build!

Back