My first "BUILD" - **Purple Nurple**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a total noob with bikes other than I know what I like and I love bikes. I'm going to attempt my first build. No chopping or cutting, nothing extreme - just a crusty worn out old bike into something fun and fresh. Thanks to some items 'donated" by a good friend...Thank you Turtle64!...I have inspiration. I have a pretty cool Royce Union that needed some serious work. It's warped here and there, makes a LOT of odd noises and rides pretty rough so I thought it was a good base.

My vision - bright purple metal flake frame, white pearl or glitter banana seat (maybe even something custom), purple rims with fat white tires and LOADS of pinstriping in shades of white. I'm open to thoughts and ideas and want to have fun and use this project to LEARN more about these bikes than just tinkering.

Here's the parts I used for inspiration: purple rims (will still be re-painted), purple glitter grips - both fron Turtle64 - and a set of Schwinn purple dice valve stem caps from my loads of NOS parts.

PP_Day1_06.jpg

Here are pics of the bike before I got started...

PP_Day1_01.jpg

PP_Day1_02.jpg

PP_Day1_03.jpg

PP_Day1_04.jpg

PP_Day1_05.jpg

And here we go...my son helping me disassemble the bike...
PP_Day1_08.jpg

Well, here's the source of a wobbly and creaking set of handlebars. I'll need to replace this...
PP_Day1_07.jpg

And here's the fully disassembled bike other than the crank. I'm getting set up to sandblast the frame and looking for some parts. Lots of what was on the bike is beyond repair.
PP_Day1_10.jpg

Re: My first "BUILD" - **Insert Creative Name Here"

That looks like a cool bike. I bet most of it is repairable if you want to! Post plenty of pictures and ask plenty of questions.

jackdaw said:
That looks like a cool bike. I bet most of it is repairable if you want to! Post plenty of pictures and ask plenty of questions.

That was what I was wrestling with. There are actual dents and gouges in the frame and the chain guard is crushed on one end. I went back and forth on it for several months - clean and ride as is, or make it a sharp little custom ride. I worked on cleaning all my others up and keeping them original, but this one is much rougher.

I watched a few friends work on theirs, and used that to make up my mind. It's a sweet little bike, but so much has to be replaced, I decided to make it "mine".

I chose bright purple because so many people have red, gold and black bikes. No one has a funky purple bike around here so I thought I'd make it stand out.

I will ask LOTS of questions, quite a few of them very dumb, but I've never done this before so have patience with me! :mrgreen:

Looks like a great build! :mrgreen: Some parts look salvageable and others not so much :) If you need parts, let us know...we have everything :lol:

What kinda purple are you gonna use? Saw a nice purple at Home Depot yesterday. Think it was Krylon. I need to post my build also. Kinda stuck on color vs bare metal vs the way it sits now.

Turtlesixfour said:
What kinda purple are you gonna use? Saw a nice purple at Home Depot yesterday. Think it was Krylon. I need to post my build also. Kinda stuck on color vs bare metal vs the way it sits now.

Gonna powdercoat it in bright silver flake and then a coating of Candy Purple. A & J Powdercoat in Gastonia - Dave from the Leanerz. I created him two new logos and printed him a whole bunch of shirts. I refused to let him pay me for the graphics so he's gonna powdercoat my frame. I left the two books of color samples he has at the clubhouse on the tiki bar.

Cool! Will have to check them out the next time we have a get together. I have a dark purple cruiser that I am thinking about putting the cut down mtn bike handlebars on. That about calling it the "PURPLE PEOPLE EATER"! I like the name PURPLE NURPLE! You should use that!

Turtlesixfour said:
Cool! Will have to check them out the next time we have a get together. I have a dark purple cruiser that I am thinking about putting the cut down mtn bike handlebars on. That about calling it the "PURPLE PEOPLE EATER"! I like the name PURPLE NURPLE! You should use that!

I was all over "Purple Nurple" but somebody else here beat me to it! Still trying to come up with something. :mrgreen:

plum crazy would be a good name LOL

Looks like Purple People Eater is taken also. Guess I will go with Flying Purple People Eater instead. Doesn't look like anybody has used the name Plum Crazy yet! Better jump on it while you can. Kinda surprised since it is a famous color and dragster! Could always use Purple Rain!LOL!

Hmmm...Okay. Also the name of the purple on the new Dodge Chargers and Challengers. It's the same bright purple....

Now how the heck do I edit the title.... :roll:

OutlawAlice said:
Hmmm...Okay. Also the name of the purple on the new Dodge Chargers and Challengers. It's the same bright purple....

Same paint name but slightly different purple. As far as editing the title I havn't a clue. I'm not much help now am I? :|

Turtlesixfour said:
OutlawAlice said:

Same paint name but slightly different purple. As far as editing the title I havn't a clue. I'm not much help now am I? :|

Yep. I'm going eye blistering purple. BAH HA HA!

OutlawAlice said:
Turtlesixfour said:
I like the name PURPLE NURPLE! You should use that!

I was all over "Purple Nurple" but somebody else here beat me to it! Still trying to come up with something. :mrgreen:

You can use Purple Nurple, I'm going to paint mine a different color anyway when I'm done.

bpellham said:
OutlawAlice said:
Turtlesixfour said:
I like the name PURPLE NURPLE! You should use that!

You can use Purple Nurple, I'm going to paint mine a different color anyway when I'm done.

Really?? You don't mind? :shock: :D

I was gonna have whatever I named it lettered onto the chain guard. Good friend of mine is a kick butt striper and old school painter.

BTW. I've been lurking on your build. :mrgreen:

heck yes, go for it, I'll edit my title right now!

PURPLE NURPLE it is! :mrgreen:

So after some research, I think I'm going to blast the chrome and metal bits (handlebars, crank, etc.) and also have them powdercoated in a silver/chrome flake. I think it will be something different and will accent the candy purple over silver flake on the frame.

The wheels - same purple as the frame with polished spokes.

The seat - heck, I can't decide. Hubby says super fuzzy white fur.

Anybody had any exerience withthose colored KMC chains? I'm eyeballing one on flebay right now along with some purple bear trap pedals.

The other thing - how the &%$#*& do I get the crank out???? :x

Take the chainguard off. Then the pedals and then the nut. Then use a screwdriver to tap the lock nut out. You have to turn them clockwise! It seems backwards put I think it is that way to prevent them from getting loose when you pedal. Then take the bearings out and slide out the crank. You can then tap out the bearing cups. If you need anything just text me.

Turtlesixfour said:
Take the chainguard off. Then the pedals and then the nut. Then use a screwdriver to tap the lock nut out. You have to turn them clockwise! It seems backwards put I think it is that way to prevent them from getting loose when you pedal. Then take the bearings out and slide out the crank. You can then tap out the bearing cups. If you need anything just text me.

It looks to be a different style of bottom bracket, like a 3pc euro setup?

Back