My first new bike circa 1977..Need help IDing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Ive been trying to figure out what this bike is..Ive "spliced" together 2 pictures I had from my mom..(My step dad took the pics and ALWAYS got his finger in the frame 9 out of 10 times..as you can see in 1 picture..:21:)
My sisters bike was a Kent,but I couldnt find a Kent BMX style bike like mine??
SOMEWHERE theres a good picture..but it hasnt materialized yet..We lived in southern Rhode Island at the time,my mom mentioned Bennys department store ,but ...
So,here I am asking for someones help..It looks like it had a big chrome sissy bar on the back and looks like it had a padded cross brace on the bars..
Any help is appreciated,thanks guys!!:thumbsup:

Murray Built, maybe a 62-69., but the style could very well have carried to '77 as mentioned.
Kent I guess could be another possibility, but I have the same Chain Guard, says "GlitterBug" up the side, toward the back end. Not certain on color of origin for my pieces but Murray built many bikes for department stores, no doubt Bennys was one over the years. As a current resident of R.I., Ive actually never been IN a Bennys but have been by one enough times to see the bikes in the windows.

Hope this helps!

[P.s. the bike my guard was off was a 1969 Flying-O Otasco,. Otasco is another hardware and mutlistore out of the midwest., as far as I know only one is still in operation today.]

FZ

Ha..you know what I just realized? I left my sister's bike in the picture..:p and I really didn't clarify that Im looking for info on the/my black and yellow bike..:giggle: thanks!Jeff

I'm not sure what it is, but that yellow plastic fender and tank with "MX" on the it should be a big clue.

I'm not sure what it is, but that yellow plastic fender and tank with "MX" on the it should be a big clue.
It is but unfortunately they made ALOT of bikes then with MX and Ive looked at all to be found on the interwebs that I know of(On BMXmuseum.com and Google..etc)Old Sears and JC Penny catalogs online(Local to us)
Heres the things about it that DONT match up to anything; big fat chrome sissy bar,metallic blue/silver? headtube sticker,and when I look at the tank letters,I assumed it said MX or BMX but the last 2 letters look more like K?? and a Y..??
Any other thoughts??

Back