My first scratch built fixie...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I dont know a thing about track bikes but my son wanted one for Christmas... So my friend who does know a thing or too designed this bike. I am going to build a second one for him.. this one is my kids.... its 4130 molly... double butted , fully tig welded. the thing is built like a tank and a shade under 6 lbs...

Tell me what you think..
3078429887_c0d6964f2f_o.jpg

Actual build photos here
http://picasaweb.google.com/yortmai/NewFixedGear?authkey=itSNFqObZRQ#

The mountain bike below it in the pictures is my only other scratch built frame.... that one was a lot of work though....

Looks good. The square chainstays are unique. Did you order the BB shell? or did you fab that yourself too?

The MTB bike looks cool all built up. Does it perform well.

looks great !!! top / bottom / seat tubes look beefy too !!! what diameter is the tubing ?

im barely trustworthy with a MIG and welding round tube to round tube still gives me troubles

looks like it will be a faster steering bike too !!!

cman said:
Looks good. The square chainstays are unique. Did you order the BB shell? or did you fab that yourself too?

The MTB bike looks cool all built up. Does it perform well.

We bought the BB shell.... Could have machined it but for $10 its just not worth it..

I really dont know about the MTB... Troy says its a little soft, he is still messing with the rear shock but pretty happy with the design.
CCR said:
looks great !!! top / bottom / seat tubes look beefy too !!! what diameter is the tubing ?

im barely trustworthy with a MIG and welding round tube to round tube still gives me troubles

looks like it will be a faster steering bike too !!!

The Top tube is 1 3/8, the down tube is 1 1/2 and the seat post is 1 1/8.... ( I had to smooch the top tube a bit to get it to mate up to the seat tube, turned out pretty well though) The upper stays are tapered and the lower's are 1/2" X 1" The butted tubing is really cool..... thin in the middle and thicker on the ends.. makes it light, stiff and just plain skookum...

We are going to build a fork for it as well.... I'll post some updated photos once the thing is rolling...

Back