My first tall bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Got myself a welder and have about 3 hours of practice under my belt so I though it was time to try and build something :roll:
Got a little carried away working and didn't take a lot of pics but...

heres what I started with
IMG_6283.jpg

IMG_6545.jpg

and here is where I am after a couple of days of tinkering.
IMG_5291.jpg

IMG_5290.jpg

Now, lets say these welds were profesional quality :lol: would this thing support any weight?
Would love some feedback.

I would hop on it and take it for a ride with no worries but I weigh 145lbs. From my experience with tallbikes, I have learned that a longer wheelbase always helps especialy when riding uphill because your center of gravity is farther back and the bike wants to wheelie and flip over when you really crank on it. If your not 100% confident in your welds or the design of the bike you could always weld a few gussets onto it. 8) I really like how you curved the seat stays from the frame to the rear dropouts.

another way to beef up the welds is to slide some rod inside the frame tubing before putting the sections together. drill a few holes in the frame so you can spot weld the rod through the holes. after grinding the welds down you will never see the holes and the junction of the frame tubings will be stronger than the rest. It looks good tho and very unique. I have never seen a tall bike done that way.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I did actully use some old kick stands that fit inside the tubing tight. slid it half way in one end, tacked, slid on the other side, tacked, and then welded out.

I build my forks that way, but much longer, and they support me just fine, and I weigh about 165-170. One good thing to try is to build the fork with another bar going down the center and then attach it to the other fork tubes with other bits of metal. It will take much of the flexibility out of the fork.
SANY0506.jpg

I think you may need a wheelie bar. lol ☺

Back