My 'Rods...as promised

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P6160005.jpg
P6160007.jpg
Not sure of year, but this is a Rollfast 24" (now a modern 26") I rescued from the dumpster at my old shop when someone didn't want to put the time/money into fixing it and asked me to just "Get rid of it." Started with only a frame and tank (had to actually CUT the original cranks and fork, which were absolutely rusted in place, out of it). Seems like the original owner(s) had also brushed it a few different colors over the years.

P6160018.jpg
P6160028.jpg
P6160025.jpg
This next one's actually a repro. It's a Schwinn but the condition I got it in originally definitely seems like it was a department store remake. This was another 'rescue' someone brought it to me because the coaster hub was destroyed and when they found out it'd be about $30 to fix it they told me to just throw it away and they'd go buy another bike. One man's trash is another man's treasure! The only original pieces are the frame and rear fender (which I bobbed to to about 1/3 its original length). Worth mentioning on this one are the incredibly sweet looking and comfy Brooks saddle, and my favorite piece of kit, a real Bendix red band 2 speed! (Recently re-furbished thanks to the walkthrough I found on this site, thanks guys). This one's my main commuter to and from work. It's also a blast to just go out and cruise on for no reason, or a safe(ish) way to get home if I've indulged in one too many margaritas with my buddies from the shop. :mrgreen:

P6160044.jpg
P6160045.jpg
This is the last one (for now). It's a 69(? not completely sure but that's the last two digits on the serial #) Columbia Bromleigh I've had for several years. Got this one at an antique store for $20 when I was in my teens. In hindsight it was cool how it was (a 3spd middleweight with 26X1-3/8 wheels and full fenders) and I guess I kind of ruined it by parting it out for various other projects at the time. But I was young and foolish then (arguably still foolish now, just older). LUCKILY I was smart enough to keep the frame. I ended up building/painting it up a couple of weeks ago for my girlfriend, who wants to cruise some of the local bike paths/beaches with me (what more could a guy want?!) Only original pieces are the frame and the chainguard. This was also my first attempt at a flame-job. Didn't come out too-cheesy loking. Big cushy seat, a rear reflector, and a working headlight are there for comfort/safety (she's a keeper lol). And the swimdeck-esque rack means she wont forget anything back at the car. I think this one came out better than MY bikes...guess I'll have to build another one for me... 8)

those tubular rack mounts usually give those box store schwinns away immediately, still i cant say a bad thing about any of them, really like the 2nd bike, especially with the kickback. Nice bunch of bikes humongous

Thanks guys, nice to know I've got the seal of approval from some real rat-rodders! I haven't met too many outside of this site. But yea a lot of the parts I removed from the Schwinn had me convinced it was a box-store bike. The orig. wheels had aluminum rims, poor quality hubs, and were quite flimsy, and the orig cranks/saddle/most everything was kind of junky. The other thing was the stick-on headbadge (removed for paint and lost somewhere in the shuffle). The old stuff seems much better-made, but the actual frame is just fine. It's not light by any means but niether we're the REAL bikes lol. Pretty much rides like a real one too, can't tell too much difference.

Nice collection. I'd be proud to say any of them were mine.

P7010061.jpg

UPDATE! Just got this set of Geax Tattoo's for the black Schwinn. Now I'm dreading the thought of taking it outside and making them all brown and crappy. :roll: They look pretty sweet though if I do say so myself.

Back