My Sears 20" Spyder bike project......finnished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone, this isa bike that I've wanted to work on for a long time.....and finally decided to dig into the project. Originally I purchased this as a complete bike from the original owner when I lived in Colorado back in 99/2000. I paid $5 for it...and was sooo excited to get it.

The color was originally a Coppertone....but the paint just wasn't really worth saving. I wanted to flat black it.....and add a WW slick in the rear......AND I wanted to swap the straight front fork for a springer....but that's another issue.

Enjoy the pic of the bike in progress....... and the one shot of my Springer fork delima :cry:

Also, the Park stand I'm working with was given to me FREE last weekend by a friend of mine's father.......how friggin' COOL is that!!! :shock:

Brian

Searsprojectbike002.jpg

Searsprojectbike001.jpg

Jetro said:
You can trim the head tube down and see if she fits then, otherwise, make your own crown fork to fit.

Actuallly, that won't work. Look at the pic....and look at the angle. I spent a while looking at the situation...and I'd have to whack at least an inch out of the headtube....and that would be getting VERY close to the upper and lower bars where they intersect with the headtube....NOT good safety wise.

Also, I really didn't want to cut anything on this frame....IF I went that route I would have just built a custom brake mount on the rear and ran a freewheel rear. :wink:

qwert5oo's idea looks like it would do the trick.

I've had to modify lowrider springers to fit my Schwinn frames - same misalignment problem as TexasXXX. My solution was to turn the steer tube down on a lathe to reposition the lower bearing race. However, because TexasXXX's misalignment is much greater, there probably isn't enough material on the steer tube to safely do it. You could combine the lower race mod with an extended tab to get the fork sitting exactly were you want it.

A FREE Park stand!! That my friend, is very cool :D

-Mp

MP, you're right.....just as I got offline I began thinking about the idea of a lengthened bolt ring.....and Yeah, that's the only way to do it. I have a longer fork tube already......

I'll have to see if I can get some time at work to fabricate a longer bolt ring....... might be a week or so...depends on my work load :(

Yeah, the cheap china springers all the lowrider shops in Melbourne sell have a crap bolt yoke. It's on an angle which is totally whack, means you NEED a really long headtube. People put these ugly-... shims to take up the room, but it looks jank. I've gotta get round to making one that is right so I can use my springers.

Well guys, with today's crappy weather, I got up this morning and decided to finnish the bike.

I picked up a NICE Sear's speedometer last night from a friend......the cable seems to be fine, and the drive unit was cleaned and lubed...but I'm not so sure the speedometer itself works yet. Could it be that the drive unit is stamped as 24-27 (meaning 24"-27"?)

The only other thing I have planned for the bike is a set of duck tail fenders.....and also I plan to get one of the local Rat Rodder's to throw some wicked cool pinstriping on the bike in a few places.

Anyhow, here are the pics.....hope you guys like it......I can't wait to take this bike for a cruise!

Searsprojectbike005.jpg

Searsprojectbike003.jpg

Searsprojectbike004.jpg

Nice...

It don't need no springer...

It looks darn fine like that...as a 20/20 Musclebike Rat

Two thumbs up! 8)

Upon seeing the finished bike - I agree with RatFink - "It don't need no springer"

The "10spd fork chopper" is classic. BITD it was the cool look and sooo unobtainable to a kid with no money :roll:

Maybe a tall sissy bar to balance out the long forks?

Cool bike - reminds me that I need to do something with my Sting-Ray someday.

-Mp

Multipass said:
Upon seeing the finished bike - I agree with RatFink - "It don't need no springer"

The "10spd fork chopper" is classic. BITD it was the cool look and sooo unobtainable to a kid with no money :roll:

Maybe a tall sissy bar to balance out the long forks?

Cool bike - reminds me that I need to do something with my Sting-Ray someday.

-Mp

Funny that you mention the tall sissy bar....my brother said the same thing when he first checked out the bike this morning. I may look into doing something like that whenever I go to place another parts order.

Thanks for the kind words on the build guys...... :mrgreen:

Rat Rod said:
Very nice Brian...the bike looks killer.

BTW: Where did you get the white wall slick?

THANKS Steve! :D

The rear tire actually has two small lines in the top of the tread.....so it kinda looks like one of those modern "Coker" type white wall legal drag slicks.

I bought the tire and most of the other new parts from BattleAxe cycles......the tire was a mere $6.95 :shock:

Hey i think 24-27 on speedo mighta meant
that the speedo is meant for 24-27 in. tires?

ricksterr1221 said:
Hey i think 24-27 on speedo mighta meant
that the speedo is meant for 24-27 in. tires?

Of course man.....I kinda figured that...lol. But my problem is I've asked before what the difference would be in running one of those speedo drives as opposed to a 20" version....no one could answer my question really. :?

I'll just pick up a 20" drive when I go back down to my budy's house next time....I'm sure that he'll have a proper drive for it.

The 27" drive means the speedo will read fast on a 20" wheel. Smaller diameter wheel = more revolutions for a given distance.

Have you taken it out for a spin yet? Betcha' it wheelies like nobody's business...

...and thats a good thing :D :D :D :D

-Mp

Back