My Sears 20" Spyder bike project......finnished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh.. well okay ha. Yeah these 20 inches come up like nothing.

It's been raining here darn near every day for over a week......but yesterday evening it was clear....so I went next door to the garage and brought the bike home.

A couple observations......I definately need a half link more in the chain...so I plan to pick that up tomorrow.

The rear coaster brake is set waaay too tight.....so when I go to work on the chain I need to check the rear bearings, and reset the nuts/bearing caps....perhaps the chain being soooo tight is part of the issue.

I tried to check out the speedo while riding....but it was almost pitch black out.....but from what I could tell it wasn't moving :cry: Is there a specific end for the drive and speedo? Maybe I got it mixed up? I know I'll for sure need the 20" drive.....I spaced that when I found the speedo....I was just soo happy to find a Sears speedo. :mrgreen:

I picked up some machine screws that should be the right size for the headtube badge....so that's going to be installed today. I also plan to mount the original "Pueblo,Colorado license plate tag on it as well. I'm working on the original kickstand at work......needed to clean off some rust and corrosion....then I plan to "blue" it at work....should be installed tomorrow night.

I didn't try any monster wheelies yet because it was dark last night....but first chance I get I plan to readjust the seat height a bit.....and see how high she'll go...lol

I'm glad you guys like the bike.....it's been a fun project.

The rear coaster brake is set waaay too tight.....so when I go to work on the chain I need to check the rear bearings, and reset the nuts/bearing caps....perhaps the chain being soooo tight is part of the issue.

I have a Few good Friends who are Professionall Bike Mech's....

and when I asked this question they all said...

"You can never have a Chain too tight!".."Tighten it up real good"

A Little Play should be all you need!

Keep us Posted Texas on The Wheelies :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ok, ride report..... I finally took it out last night. My brother bought a Dyno cruiser from a local on Craigslist....so I told him let's go for a quick ride out front. We live waaaay out in the country...and the roads out here are nothing but one extreme hill after another. After I huffed and puffed my way to the top of one hill......we sat there for a sec talking as a few neighbor's drove by....then we decided to race down to my house next door.

My brother was peddling the heck out of his cruiser....and I tore after him on my Sears. The front wheel started coming up the harder I peddled....lol! The handle bars that I swore I had tight enough weren't....so I had to watch them a bit. I'm not fond of pulling a wheelie going downhill......so I only pulled back a couple of times...but oh yeah, this thing rocks. :mrgreen:

The speedo will count down distance....but it won't register MPH :cry: Anyone know what might be causing this?I even took the cable off again and reversed it trying to see if that was the prob. I also raised the seat a bit....and hung the original Pueblo,Colorado license plate under the seat with some small black chain so it dangles like a Rat Rod would have it's plates :mrgreen:

This bike rocks....I'm so pleased with how it turned out.

Back