My stem wiggles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Okay...does sound a bit obscene...but seriously folks.

I've been running a Pro Neck BMX stem in my Elgin cruiser and I cannot get the stem to tighten enough so that it won't move.

I've tried a couple of different wedges and even tried another BMX stem, but no matter how hard I tighten it down...I can still move it from left to right if I stand with my legs on either side of the front wheel and twist the handlebars really hard.

It's not real real loose, but after a few rides/bumps the handlebars end up shifting to one side or the other.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to really tighten the stem down.

DSC_0024.jpg

Try putting the stem in a different fork. If it still happens, try a bigger wedge, and using some loc tite on the bolt. Otherwise, my guess is that the steer tube is warped, preventing the wedge from seating right.

I haven't tried the stem in another fork.

It's a brand new cheapo cruiser fork.

Maybe I need to bug the guys at my LBS for a huge stem wedge.

You might be bulging the steerer tube, I've seen some the vintage forks suffer that problem, maybe pull it out real quick and check it. You also want to watch out on old BMX stuff some of the stems were 21.1 and not a full 22.2mm diameter. I think that has a similar effect to slipping and actually promoting bulging.

Sounds like the stem is slightly smaller than the steer tube i've had this same problem before good luck Steve

I've never tried it but I just checked and the wedge for a 22 is marked as 22, the 21 are marked as a 21. You might try a 22.2 wedge with your stem, it might be enough to keep it tight.

i use a piece of popcan or sheetmetal. i cut it, wrap it around the stem somewhat, make it slide into the fork, and tighten, it usually works but might take a few trys. i wish i had pics to show you.its like making your own shim or sleeve.

that stem/fork (looks like a pyramid brand?) combo should be fine, both are .833. i've never had trouble with those steerers deforming even though they're so inexpensive. it's always good to grease the stem bolt where it goes through the wedge, and also where there's any metal to metal contact like where the stem bolt contacts the top of the stem just to make sure there's no binding. if it's greased well there won't be any squeaky creaky sounds when it's tightened.......

Your vintage Pro Neck is probably 13/16" (20.64) and the newer fork is probably 22.2. You need a shim. I'd measure both, divide the difference by 2 and make a shim out of brass sheet stock that thickness. One of those seatpost shims might work, too.

SkidMark said:
Your vintage Pro Neck is probably 13/16" (20.64) and the newer fork is probably 22.2. You need a shim. I'd measure both, divide the difference by 2 and make a shim out of brass sheet stock that thickness. One of those seatpost shims might work, too.

wow, did pro neck do a stem that was actually 13/16" and not the common .833" american/bmx size? good luck finding a 'correct' fork for that!

Rat Rod said:
I'll probably just swing by my LBS and see if they have some shims in stock.

Thanks for the input guys!

if you find out the fork really is 22.2 could you please ask who they order them from? all i can find are .833 in an inexpensive bmx style cruiser fork, the other size might come in handy sometime! thanks.

I'll have to ask them.

It is the cheapo fork for $19.99 that they order all the time.

Probably the same thing that you mentioned earlier.

Go stick a set of calipers on any old school BMX stem, it will be 13/16" or .8125.

.833 is the inside diameter of the fork.

SkidMark said:
Go stick a set of calipers on any old school BMX stem, it will be 13/16" or .8125.

.833 is the inside diameter of the fork.

ok,i get it. you were referring to the actual stem diameter and not the common nomenclature. i thought you meant some old school bmx company did their own proprietary size that was slightly smaller than the norm :D

Back