My Worksman Girls Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Worksman ING (Industrial News Girl) that I picked up from a friend. It was formerly a plant bike. To tell you the truth he gave me two industrial bikes and this one was my least favorite at first. But, the more I looked at it the more it grew on me. Also, you really don't see a lot of them around in the girls model. even here in the industrial area that I live in. This is the link to the original story about the finds:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12463&p=125681&hilit=scenic+225#p125681

First of all I stripped it of rust and paint at my local radiator shop, here is the link where I talked about that:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12335&p=132130&hilit=favorite+stripper#p132130

Once I had it all primed I found a paint that I like. Since I don't have a compressor I had to rattle can it. The color is called "Ivy Leaf", by Krylon. I picked up the widest cruiser bars I could find at a rat friendly shop down in Galveston called Island Bicycle Company. The fenders came from there as well but I originally bought them for another bike last year. When I first put it together I was planning on running red glitter grips and having a saddle recovered in the same vinyl to match the grips. Since I had the black grips and seat already, I chose to just use these for now. I know it's kind of blasphemous, but the grips are Schwinn. I did enjoy spending a little time getting the seat post out like Uncle Stretch had said would happen on some of the old industrials. The wheels,tires and saddle are from a Huffy Cranbrook that I have here. The headset cups, crank cups and kickstand looked pretty rough but nothing a wire wheel, sandpaper and metal polish couldn't take care of. The chain guard is waiting for one more coat of paint and I have the original head badge that I am trying to clean up and re-use. As you can see, it's not done but the only chain I have is red and that is not going to work now that I audibled out of the original plan. I was pleased with how it's coming along.

Original
DSCF3426-1.jpg

DSCF4133.jpg

DSCF4136.jpg

DSCF4138.jpg

DSCF4131.jpg

DSCF4132.jpg

man,that is a sweet transformation! :D never could tell it was a work bike! like the color,too.makes me hungry for guacamole and chips! :lol:

Thanks for the comments and feel free to use an idea you like. That is what got me into the site in the first place. Hopefully I will get the cranks together on it tomorrow and I also picked up another chain today that is not red. Hopefully I will be able to see how it rides then. Here are a couple more shot that I took when I was putting it together.

DSCF4013.jpg

DSCF4111.jpg

DSCF4137.jpg

DSCF4130.jpg

Re: My Worksman Girls Build (picture heavy)

Well, today I sprayed the last coat on the chain guard. Originally the chain guard was chrome but due to the abuse chrome takes out at a chemical plant, especially here on the Texas gulf coast, it was pretty far gone. so I roughed it all up, hit it with self etching primer, then a couple of coats of buildable primer, then shot it with two coats of House of Krylon "Ivy Leaf ". It is the same color as the frame. I will get some pictures of it when I put it back on. After that I put the cranks and pedals on. Here are some glamour shots of it as of today. I really don't like the seat but it will have to do for now.
DSCF4155.jpg

DSCF4160.jpg

DSCF4139.jpg

DSCF4143.jpg

DSCF4149.jpg

Love the Worksman!

I actually use one, at work, that I bought from a local Ebay seller and brought to the plant I work in.

Mine's an INB (Industrial Bike) in black. It's rough and beat up but it's perfect for the paper mill I work in. These bikes can really carry some weight.

Some things you might find useful:

Worksman is still in business, making new industrial, special needs, and recreational bikes here in the USA. They're right in Queens, NYC actually. They have a great website here:

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/s ... isers.html

Through their site, you can get parts lists and manuals and price lists for every single part of the bike. They only really make 3 conventional bike models, but with a lot of different options. They start around $329. There are 3 frame designs, the small one (like I have), the big one with 2 straight bars, and the ladies that you have.

Everything is super heavy duty on these bikes. The spokes are heavy gauge, the rims are thick like motorcycle rims, the bearings are big, and one thing to note as you try to restore it: the chains are wider width than standard 1/8" coaster brake chain. You might have a problem with the chain hanging up in the sprockets if you use regular chain. IF you change the sprocket out, shouldn't be a big deal.

Yours looks great, have fun with it. (And remember you can get a full-body workout by using them for weightlifting!)

--Rob

Everything is super heavy duty on these bikes. The spokes are heavy gauge, the rims are thick like motorcycle rims, the bearings are big, and one thing to note as you try to restore it: the chains are wider width than standard 1/8" coaster brake chain. You might have a problem with the chain hanging up in the sprockets if you use regular chain. IF you change the sprocket out, shouldn't be a big deal.

Yours looks great, have fun with it. (And remember you can get a full-body workout by using them for weightlifting!)

--Rob
Thanks Rob, I just found this out last night. I did some running around yesterday and while I was out I picked up another chain. I got home and realized that it was not going to work. I've got a few chainrings around here so I will probably change it out sometime this weekend. I still have the original rear wheel, but it is pretty rough, it's true but the chrome is in pretty bad shape. I will eventually paint it. I have contacted Worksman. I was going to get a new chain guard before I decided to just paint mine and my head badge is beat up and I wanted to run an original one. It's going to be $5 direct from Worksman. Not a bad deal considering I have a Schwinn HD with a beat up head badge and I don't think anything with "Schwinn" on it come with a $5 price tag.

Here is a chain ring that works. It came off of an old Western Flyer that I have. Now I'm off to the hardware store to find some bolts that I can mount my chain guard with. The mounts are thresded and I have no bolts at all, here at my house, that fit.
DSCF4163.jpg

DSCF4166.jpg

OK, I am back from the hardware store. I mounted the chain guard and my twelve year old said if it was black it would look a lot better and I tend agree. I'm not as fast as Uncle Stretch so it will be green for a while. Oh yeah, I added a 8-Ball bell and some 8-Ball valve caps. It rides smooth, but it's heavy, kind tank-like. I do agree, that it would look sweet with some pinstriping, possibly white, green and red, but that will have to wait. Here are some shots.
DSCF4172.jpg

DSCF4173.jpg

DSCF4174.jpg

8BallBell.jpg

DSCF4175.jpg

Nice bike. What type of wheels did you use? I picked up the newer version of your bike at a garage sale this past weekend and tried to drop some regular coaster wheels into it. The axles on the wheels were way too short; and the hub spacing is way off. The Worksman frame has huge dropout spacing.

Latest posts

Back