Mystery Meat rolls thru

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a phone call and it was somebody who had gotten my number after he found my ad for the diamondback della cruz 1.0 http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/deja-vu-of-the-2.93261/ on craigslist and had checked out my website. He wanted to buy the bike and he did, but he also came by with 3 more bikes he thought I could help him with. 1 was a Trek 7.5 which was in need of cleaning and a tuneup.. check. the second was a 57 Schwinn Corvette - Rusty but not too bad, all parts accounted for (more on that one in another post) and the third one was the one I post here.

I don't know what this bike began it's life as. I believe it was a Murray, possibly a Monterray, but not alot of info is out there online regarding the thingss this bike had that caused me to wonder. The sprocket is of a unusual pattern. The stem is not one usually found on murray's that I've seen ever. The handlebars were definetly not the original ones, they fell in between standard and apehanger size. The rims and hub were very good quality, almost Schwinn in quality, but not quite. Chromed steel that weighed a ton, they had nice heft to them and the rear brake featured a Bendix 74 from mexico. It was yellow with red rims which I thought must have been a custom change to it's stock green like the images I did find online that were too pixelated top really tell for sure, but in taking it apart, it was clear that this bike left the factory in this color scheme. weird... looked like mcdonalds.

Ive not a clue if it really was a Murray or not, but it would be nice if anybody might know this bike's origin would let me know.

Here is a couple pics from the work I did..
20150720_203119-1024x576.jpg
20150720_203236-1024x576.jpg
20150727_172804-1024x576.jpg
20150727_172851-1024x576.jpg

Chain ring looks like something you'd get from a lowrider site. The frame might be a Monterey or Westport, it reminds me of my bull rat which is a Westport.

I know that chainring is way different than the normal slotted discs that is Murray, but it had a little bit of a trail online that kept me going for way too long...
In all the researching I came upon images that had murray monterey, the right chainring, but always a green model and chrome chainring, never yellow with red, and always, "not" a men's cruiser.
Like this right example here... http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/I...rey Girls Forrest Green Bicycle?sort=3&page=1
But with it all combined and as best as I would.... I guess it was a murray, 80's ish...

Boy, it had some great rims on it. Better than any Murray of that era that I've come across anyways. The chrome was easy to get shining with a little aluminum foil and wd40 and the Bendix brake was cool to have on board.
1040h.jpg

Back