Need a little help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I've been searching all over the Internet for this particular sprocket, and the only one close to it I can find has a big "G" on it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Attachments

• 20160723_192925.jpg
    20160723_192925.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 199
The BXM types might call it a "CD" style "chain wheel". When I was growing-up, we called them big and small sprockets, or front and back sprockets. I believe CD refers to something about conmupters.

These were easily found a few years back, but now i can only find them with the "g", "redline", or other various graphics on them. I haven't tried it, but i bet you could buff-out the "g" with a scouring pad and some elbow grease.

These become available from time to time, (e.g., e-bay item number 291725408860. Perhaps, first choose the gear ratio, how many front and back teeth that you might wish to have. I like 44-24, or 43-23, for less speed and easier pedaling. Some smaller chain wheels might not look as nice in a chain guard designed for 46T. Some older bikes have 52T!

These were easily found a few years back, but now i can only find them with the "g", "redline", or other various graphics on them. I haven't tried it, but i bet you could buff-out the "g" with a scouring pad and some elbow grease.

It's not quite the same, but I found one of these at my local bike co-op for just a couple of dollars (and it's from Sunlite, so they're still available all over the internet):

iron cross.jpg

The painted graphic came off with just a little nail polish remover, a rag, and some elbow grease! :thumbsup:

It might take a little care and finesse to get the "G" logo off the other one WITHOUT taking the paint off the teeth as well, but I'm sure it could be done.

It's not quite the same, but I found one of these at my local bike co-op for just a couple of dollars (and it's from Sunlite, so they're still available all over the internet):

View attachment 31209

The painted graphic came off with just a little nail polish remover, a rag, and some elbow grease! :thumbsup:

It might take a little care and finesse to get the "G" logo off the other one WITHOUT taking the paint off the teeth as well, but I'm sure it could be done.

It's called patience which sometimes is a little hard to come by! lol I ordered it on Thursday night, so hopefully it should be here sometime next week.

From the factory it came with 44-22. Is that not a good ratio?

That all depends on your topography, terrain, fitness level, riding style, etc.... for the street, i find a 52" gear (2:1 ratio on 26" wheels) to be kind of low. For offroad, i shoot for 50"; if i'm riding a singlespeed cruiser on the street, i shoot for 60 to 65", so a 44x18 or 19....

I just bought another one of these for another build -- it took less than five minutes to remove the graphic with some acetone-based nail polish remover and TWO cotton balls, and barely any elbow grease at all!

I'm not sure if it was because this one was "new" and the paint wasn't as old or hard or "set up" but the paint started coming off as soon as I poured the stuff on there, and BEFORE I started wiping with a cotton ball.

(In other news, I now have THREE of these cruisers that I finally think are "finished" and the fourth one is all ready to put together once the paint on the frame dries, so I'm busy puttering around with chainrings and handlebars and so forth today. Does this madness ever end, and WHY was I looking at craigslist again this morning when I don't need any more bikes!?! :headbang: :21: )

Back