Need help with IDin' 2 bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help with IDin' 2 bikes I just picked up, any help is appreciated.

http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab20 ... C00441.jpg

Hey all, hope everyone had a great Christmas and a safe New Years. Well I picked up a couple of bike yesterday.
1. One is a tandem only frame and forks seem correct, no badging and too many layers of old and fresh rattle can to see any serial #'s. Has boys front /ladies rear configuration, front entry rear stays. It has two tubes one is the front seat tube and right behind is the rear handlebar tube, it would use another stem to locate the handlebars, non integrated seatpost clamps. front has the swooping twin bars like a phantom that extend all the way to the rear seat tube. I know it is pretty generalized in description, but if anyone has any information or a link to pictures that might identify a maker it would make the restoration more authentic.
2. The second is again only a frame but is also a mystery. It is a boys straightbar but has again front entry rear stays. The descending seat stays are pinched at the axle stays but at the seat post they are not welded but instead the tubes are flattened and rounded and have a hole thru them. They form the seat clamp. The rear fender brace is not tubular but is flat and curved. Not sure if the fork is original but is the blade type with no provision for mounting a front fender. It has the builtin struss guides on the crown of the fork and the bottom truss rod ends are welded to the bottom of the fork not extending all the way to the bottom to be cinched by the axle nuts. Also the ends of forks are not notched to allow an axle to be mounted, although there are holes for an axle on the ends they are quite small as well. On the headtube struss bracket the upper rods join together to form a thread end that goes thru the bracket and is topped by what is a wing nut looking thing no thru hole it has a rounded top.There is no badging or marks on either frame. Thought the last frame was still worth saving as it was a straightbar. The pics are the first 7 pictures in the album. Thanks again and hope to hear from ya'll soon.. Mo in Clovis, CA.

DSC00447.jpg

These are definitely Columbia/Westfield dropouts. I'm not sure what year they started that type, but early 50's, or maybe late 40's seems probable. More info on the make can be found here- http://www.vintagecolumbiabikes.com/id79.html
http://www.nostalgic.net/columbia.htm

The tandem is a Huffy :wink: Just like this... mid sixties vintage? (Someone please correct me if I am wrong).

10da5xy.jpg

Below is a later style Huffy tandem, every one of these I have ever seen was Huffy or Sears badged and the model seems to be the "daisy daisy". I'm not sure if the older versions (the more cantilever-ish ones like yours) also went by the same name, maybe someone can chime in here. I'm pretty sure this style was a late sixties/early seventies thing, but I could be off there too.There have been a lot of these on the forums lately... I didn't know there were so many around.

119z3fm.jpg

You guys are dead on the tandem. Is there a Huffy SN database to see what year this actually is? The other bike the rear dropout do look like Columbias, went to the MR. Columbia site and saw the rear dropouts on an early bike. still cant find a bike like it that has the tops of the seattube stays that clinch to form a seat clamp though. There is one pic that shows a fork and truss assembly similar to it too. It has the bars joined together at the top with a single wing nut. How the heck did they get a tire in there though, did they have thru axles back then? Both the bike do not look capable of full balloon tires though. Look at the pic below and compare the top of the truss junction.
1927motobike.jpg

Just going from memory, but I believe the Huffy serial numbers begin with an H followed by a series of numbers. The first number is the last digit of the year- ie. H746251 would be a '57, '67, or '77. You would have to look at the frame and other details to lock down the decade.

Back