Need help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. My first build and my first experience with a nexus wheel. This is on a Ruff Cycles Dean and I'm wondering if I'm missing something between the frame and the wheel. Am I supposed to suck the frame into the wheel or do I need some kind of spacers?
8a8e2a4e.jpg
yjujegun.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to Sheldon Brown's website and look up "cold setting frame". Cold setting:rolleyes:...I call it bending the frame. You can do it easily and he shows how to use a string for a gauge around the head tube and dropouts so that it comes out straight. Or, use spacers, then everyone will ask..."what are those spacers for?":D. Gary

If I go the spacer route, what do I use? Are there actually "spacers" for this application?

Sheldon's article talks about spreading the frame but not about compressing it. Anyone have an idea about how to accurately compressing the dropouts together?

That amount and being a steel/cro-mo frame, I'd use a machine washer (thick and ground) on the non drive side to take up space.
Note: with 3 speeds I always run the anti-rotation washer on the inside of the dropout.

Leave the frame alone, and respace the hub. This will afford you the opportunity to dial-in your chainline, and prevent you from messing up your frame. I'm pretty sure the frame cost more than the hub, so you also have the ratio of risk on your side.

Any washers will work for respacing; put them between the cones and the jam-nuts.... do some measuring and some test-fitting to get the rim centered and chainline decent, then tighten it all down. In some cases, you may need to redish, but I wouldn't worry about all that yet.

You could also just use axle nuts as spacers too.

It is a steel frame. Ruff has made it wide for some reason. The nexus 3 speed hub is not wide enough to get both wheel nuts on and put the nexus shifter on. I've had to crank the nuts down to compress the frame. Is this a bad thing?

Back