Need Schwinn Date Code Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I need help dating a Schwinn Hornet I have had for years. I am just now starting to work on it , hopefully get it rolling this spring. It is a straight bar Hornet. The code on the left rear dropout is H02911. This is the only code I see on it. I thought I knew how to read these but I guess not. Any help will be appreciated. If needed I can get some photos put up for help. Please let me know. Thanks again. Leo

Going off the list that I use I would guess Late '52 or early '53. The last code they have for '52 (12/14-15) is G44000 and the first code they have listed for '53 (1/12-14) is H60001. Your's falls right in between. I don't know how long they were shut down for Christmas. I would say it is a '53 model year though. Pics would help to confirm that.

Correct but H02911 is not in any of the serial number ranges on any of the lists, and there is no 5 number serial numbers listed starting with "H0". You may be correct on the model year guess, but that would mean Schwinn did not record this range of serial numbers(?) Stranger things have happened but I was wondering if the last digit was not readable and possibly an August '61 Horner perhaps? (H02911_)

For sure, a photo would help. If it were a '52-'53 style Hornet it would be a straight bar frame. A '61 Hornet would be a cantilever frame.

Hi Guys
Thanks for the info so far. I was also confused on the serial numbers myself, thats why I thought someone here could help. Thanks again. I will try to get photos up tomorrow and let you guys take a look. I did look at a 1953 and it did look similiar to that year. It does not have a tank, missing the Delta Ray front light. Has front truss rods and original chain guard and rear rack. Original color was blue with possibly white accents. I have been sittings on this since I found it in a farm yard in Northern Michigan in the mid 1980's. I am looking forward to getting it on the road this spring. Leo

Hi Guys
Here are my photos of the Schwinn I need help dating. Again the serial number is HO2911. I am not sure what year this is. Any help is appreciated. Leo
IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1261_2.jpg

IMG_1258_2.jpg

Hi
Thanks Cameron and Twomorestrokes for the help on my Schwinn. I guess my next question is did this originally have a tank? I am guessing it did. I see that the straight frame tanks are harder to find and more expensive. Any ideas on where to look for one? If I don't find one maybe I will just make something out of metal or wood. I have seen some cool looking ideas on this site. Thanks again for your help. Leo

Save a search on eBay and place an ad on the bike forums and eventually you'll find one. I like the old Hornets more and more. I prefer painted wheels and fenders over chrome anyway. That's good because they are a whole lot more affordable than Phantoms! :?

Mike

Thanks again guys for all the help, but the question still remains as what is the deal with the serial number not showing up in the code listing. Curious.
I appreciate the advertisment showing what it looked like brand new, cool stuff. But I am glad to start getting it on the road soon. Thanks again. Leo

The Schwinn Date Code listings found on many different sites around the interweb do contain some typos, as well as a few odd little notes where there are discrepancies.

I'm pretty sure you're not finding your particular one due to a typo- either a mistake in entering the data or an error in character recognition from someone years ago scanning original Schwinn documents.

Here's part of the 1953 date code chart:
( 1953 )
Date ------------- Serial #`s From -------------------- To
>>>>> 01/12 to 01/14 ------- H60001 ----------------- H16956 <<<<<<<<
01/14 to 01/16 ------- H16957 ----------------- H26563
01/16 to 01/19 ------- H26564 ----------------- H37436
01/19 ------------------ H37437 ----------------- H37753
01/28 to 01/29 ------- H37754 ----------------- H42355
01/29 ------------------ H42356 ----------------- H44000

02/02 to 02/09 ------- H44001 ----------------- H63955
02/23 ------------------ H63956 ----------------- H68054
02/23 to 02/24 ------- H68055 ----------------- H72800
02/24 to 02/25 ------- H72801 ----------------- H76850
02/25 to 02/27 ------- H76851 ----------------- H87400

03/02 to 03/06 ------- H87401 ----------------- H99999

The line I've highlighted there shows what must be a typo- the series wouldn't start at H6____ for the month, it should be H0_____

A 0 could look like a 6 if handwritten or if there was a mistake when scanning an old list.

That's what I think happened here. Your bike definitely is from that era- the early Phantom style guard, the skiptooth crank, all the details point to a 1953 model.

Myself, I have a pair of '66 Stingrays and learned that the serial numbers in January '66 were missing a digit, from the factory, due to a mistake made producing those frames. If you look at 1966 in the code charts, it says "ABOVE CODES OBVIOUSLY RECORDED IN ERROR". Well, they weren't, I've just got a blank space in mine. My January bike shows A 246xx, with a blank where there should be a "B" for the year. My February bike has a correct "BB" date, so it's built after they found the problem an fixed it.

Good luck with your Hornet, it'll be a really cool ride when it's done.

Hope this helps,
--Rob

Leobeerguy said:
Thanks again guys for all the help, but the question still remains as what is the deal with the serial number not showing up in the code listing. Curious.
I appreciate the advertisment showing what it looked like brand new, cool stuff. But I am glad to start getting it on the road soon. Thanks again. Leo

Back