Need some advice...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1954 Schwinn that I need some advice on. You can see that the wheels, tires, chain guard, and grips have been swapped from another bike. My question is about the frame and fork.....

The rust you see is a little deeper in some spots. Not near as in rusting through but a little deeper than just surface. I'm battling with leave the frame be, or strip it and repaint or powder coat. What is your guys opinion on this? I'm not trying to make it period correct but I would like to find the correct chain guard, and find original steel outer rims and swap out the aluminum.

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

To me the chain guard is the only thing the looks out of place. take it off, or put an old rusty one on. Just my .02.

Leave the rust....get the chain guard is out of place.Leave the rust rat it out.Like them handle bars they look awesome.

Sandblasting, followed by repeated prime then sand, or just leave it, maybe a PB Blaster rubdown. If you don't go deep, you're just opening it up to further oxidation.

I appreciate the advice guys... I have decided to leave it and I'm on the lookout for a new chain guard.

just spray bomb the chain guard green then scratch it up and leave outside for a few days in rain and put it on

deorman said:
Now, what self-respecting board racer would have a chain guard. :? Chain guards are for service bikes :| , ladies :wink: , and wimps :p . :mrgreen:

And guys with bell bottoms. :lol:

I think chain guards on these old cruisers look cool cause they are unique but I guess that one is kinda basic huh

flat black!

rust = rot = rust on your cloths and a shorter life span of the bike.

rotten bikes just aren't my thing. :)
now a nice patina, thats a totaly different story.

Back