Need some help on a frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up this what appears to be a bare DX frame. I'm not sure what year it is?
But would like to find a head badge for it. I have a large badge, but the holes on the frame are 2 1/4" apart.
Can someone tell which badge should go on this frame and maybe which year it is?
Serial number is on the bottom of the crank. C76374
Thx

DXFrame1-1.png

my older schwinns have mounting holes approx 3.25" apart.
The newer (80's) exercize bike i chopped up had a 2.75" hole pattern and that one looks much smaller.
2.25" seems real small for a schwinn tag. wheres the serial number located?

icyuod2 said:
my older schwinns have mounting holes approx 3.25" apart.
The newer (80's) exercize bike i chopped up had a 2.75" hole pattern and that one looks much smaller.
2.25" seems real small for a schwinn tag. wheres the serial number located?

Serial number is located on the bottom of the crank housing.
Number is C76374

icyuod2 said:
is it a 20" frame, like an old stingray?
Nope 26"

So I'm guessing this is not a normal head badge then?

I can just drill and tap it to mount the head badge I have.

Thx

sensor said:
according to the numbers its a 52....
btw....its that the actual frame in your post?
Ah, but the serials moved to the rear dropout in 52! I'm going to say 48, since the surviving post-fire numbers start in the D's. It's definitely postwar w/the built in kickstand and forward rear drops. -Adam

yes they did but they were still doing them on the b.b in early 52' maybe someone just forgot the change(you know how monday/fridays go :wink: ) when it was stamped....thats also why i was asking if that was the frame pictured

sensor said:
yes they did but they were still doing them on the b.b in early 52' maybe someone just forgot the change(you know how monday/fridays go :wink: ) when it was stamped....thats also why i was asking if that was the frame pictured
Too true! Sometimes I think I should have a separate signature for these type of posts that says "These answers are of typical production bikes, eventually a one off or factory reject will surface and prove me wrong!!" :lol:

i know first hand they messed up a few....the b6 i got from my friend who got it from his grandfather who was its original owner and its got an extra number(its a 52 also :lol: )

sensor said:
according to the numbers its a 52....
btw....its that the actual frame in your post?

Yes that is the frame in the picture.

So i would be safe to say it is a 52?

I found a plane and train badge that has the mounting holes at 2 1/4", so I would assume that's what was on there?

Schwinn used *at least* 20 or 30 different badges that size, both prewar and postwar. I have a '54 straight bar frame that has 2 1/4" hole spacing. I don't think they are common after that date. That size was common on bikes going to hardware stores and large bike wholesalers. Some of the names on Schwinn badges that size were...ACE, Admiral, Lincoln, Excelsior, LaSalle, Henderson and many more. Here are a couple that I have. First is a Witte Flyer made for the Witte Hardware Co. out of St. Louis. This 2 1/4" badge is on a prewar DX and came with the bike.
ADX014.jpg

Next is an American Flyer badge that was used on Schwinns going to Louisville Cycle and Supply in KY. I repainted this one.
af04.jpg

Many of the badges Schwinn put out with off-the-wall names were the same shape as the American Flyer badge above and have 2 1/4" holes spacing. Gary

I think your frame is earlier... possibly just before the 1948 fire that destroyed date code records.

The 1947 ladies DX I built earlier this year was serial # C 01030 with the numbers under the crank.

Here's the frame blasted before paint:

0517092339.jpg

It also had odd (small) headbadge screw spacing. I made a later oval one fit but I'm guessing it had one from a store or maybe a plane-n-trains badge, something other than the oval.

Good luck with your build- cool frame.

--Rob

I don't think there are any major diff's between a 48 bike and a 52 bike, except the 52 would be more likely to have the large oval Schwinn badge of the 50s. (Yes, there are usually exceptions, I'm just saying typical production bikes) -Adam

Latest posts

Back