need some help trying to get fat in the back.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1955 schwinn black phantom frame. Can anyone tell me what width / diameter / type of rim I'm going to need to get a 3" fat tire on the back. I don't think one of those fat tires will fit on a stock 24" rim. What rim and wheel combos are you guys using to get those fat tires on the rear of those old middleweight frames? Any information you guys have would be greatly appreciated............ Thanks in advance, Tim Hall.

Is the 1955 Phantom a middleweight? I though all Phantoms were balooners. A frame stretch is in order if it is a middleweight.
Here is a link on how to spread the rear stays. viewtopic.php?t=1140
This link and other can be found in the How To Manual.

As far as the rim, don' t use one of Schwinn's funny sizes. Any rim that can take a 24x2.215 tire should work.

The 24" Wheels used on Electras will fit just fine on your Phantom frame, even with their wide 3" tire. I put one on a mid-50's Typhoon just a few days ago. As far as I know, there's no difference in the width of the frames.

Their website listed them for sale last time I checked, along with a good selection of cool tires.

wow a rat black phantom the guys over on the schwinn forum will love that. wonder if they have a special section yet to show the rare bikes we have turned to the rat side? and yea you have it easy with sticking a 24 by 3 in there. middweight frames just wont do it but if yours is really a phantom it is fat tire baby go too it!

If its a true balloner you can even stick a 26x3 in it

with standard 26in wheel and a Kenda Flame 26x3 Tire

DSCN0081.jpg

with 26 in 144 spoked wheel and same Kenda tire

DSCN0084.jpg

Back