Need some kid trailer ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son is 4 years old. He out grew the little bike trailer I have been using the last two years, but he's not big enough to keep up on his little bike when we go on longer outtings. So I need a bigger trailer. I like this one:
http://www.99bikes.com.au/weehoo-igo-bike-trailer

But theyre a little pricey.

So I was wondering if anyone has made a trailer for hauling kids around? I am looking for some ideas.

Maybe a tricycle converted over to a trailer? Scrap out a recumbent?

These things are all over our craigslist usually $25.
co bike trainer.jpg

I thought about one of them, but my boy does get tired on our rides. Be kinda hard for him to sleep on that.

You could modify his current trailer. Maybe build a bigger frame from metal, wood, or bamboo. Could maybe do a hot rod or tear drop camper thing.
Or how about a sidecar?

I took an old jogging stroller and one of these planter tubs and made a bike trailer a few years back. It was about 2' by 4'. Maybe you can mount one on the old trailer frame you have to have more space.
424764.jpg

I am a huge fan of those single wheel tag alongs. If you do end up making something, one wheel is the way to go, it's the difference between sharing the ride & towing the kid behind like a boat.

I think I will take the top off his old trailer and see what I can see. I honestly didn't know they had single wheeled trailers, but it seems like a better ride for both of us. It is quite a chore dragging that dual wheeled trailer with my single speed.

Back