New bike - Giant Fastroads

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since adding the Build Off 1982 Peugeot to the fleet and progressively getting fitter and into much better shape, I’ve been enjoying going for longer and faster rides.

I like the Pug a lot, and plan to continue riding it, but after living with it for a while, there are some things that can be a bit annoying about it too.

I know there are plenty of steel frame fans on here, but one of the down sides is that with a rider of my size and weight, there is quite a lot of flex in that skinny old Fe frame. Combined with the old-school Simplex friction shifters it means that after cornering I get some pretty bad chain hops and gear slips. Everything is adjusted and aligned - I even dropped a link out of the chain – it’s just old.

Another is that the very steep rake means that half-toe clips are absolutely necessary otherwise my size 14s drag on the front wheel on relatively mild turns.

But I’ve really enjoyed the flat bar road bike experience. A lot.

So, when browsing bikes online (as we do) I noted my preferred bike shop had an 'Overstocked!' 2022 Giant Fastroads SL1 for 30% off rrp - and I couldn’t help myself.

I bought some nice Shimano sealed bearing flat pedals for it and had a nice bell, bottle, cage and some bright Knog lights in stock.

Now I’m about wearing the wax off the tyres and getting ready for some weekend pedalling. So far I’m loving it.

It wasn’t stupid-expensive, with an alloy frame and fork, “upper mid-level” components, Tektro hydraulic brakes, 2x11 Shimano gearing, FSA cranks – and a general level of specification slightly higher than the usage I plan for the machine.

It's fast and fun.
DSC_8807.jpg

I didn't put this in the builds section because it's only being accessorised, but the work has begun (and is nearly finished).

I added a Carbon composite seat post, mainly because the standard Giant D-fuse alloy isn't micro adjust - only fixed angle (which sux) but the new unit is much lighter and dial-in-able. So it works better with the Brooks C17.

post.jpg

I also got some other bits from the shop while I was there. I was just-about out of chain lube, grabbed some spare tubes (I prefer to replace rather than repair), a CO2 kit and bag, and some Ergo grips with bar ends.

bits.jpg

All I'm waiting on now is a frame protection kit and it's done (where have I heard that one before!!).
Although I might get a nicer bottle cage too.

I'm riding it a lot. The XL frame fits perfectly. Loving the hydraulic brakes and sure-shifting Shimano 105 drivetrain too.

sunset2000px.jpg

bars2.jpg

I didn't put this in the builds section because it's only being accessorised, but the work has begun (and is nearly finished).

I added a Carbon composite seat post, mainly because the standard Giant D-fuse alloy isn't micro adjust - only fixed angle (which sux) but the new unit is much lighter and dial-in-able. So it works better with the Brooks C17.

View attachment 248544

I also got some other bits from the shop while I was there. I was just-about out of chain lube, grabbed some spare tubes (I prefer to replace rather than repair), a CO2 kit and bag, and some Ergo grips with bar ends.

View attachment 248545

All I'm waiting on now is a frame protection kit and it's done (where have I heard that one before!!).
Although I might get a nicer bottle cage too.

I'm riding it a lot. The XL frame fits perfectly. Loving the hydraulic brakes and sure-shifting Shimano 105 drivetrain too.

View attachment 248546

View attachment 248547
She looks sleek and fast even sitting still. Many happy miles to you.

oh wow, that's a sweet bike. Canal path racer if ever there was one. Happy miles on it.

One tiny droplet of WD-40. That's all it took.

DSC_9293.jpg

I was fitting the ergo grips to the Fastroads and one was a bit tight going on, so I gave it a quick shot of WD - taking what I thought was due care and attention, but no, one drop ricocheted off the bars and arced in slow motion directly to the front brake disc.
"Nooooooo! Nooooooo! Nooooooo!" I cried, being fully aware of the disaster that was unfolding in stop motion before me.

You see, it's not the first time WD overspray has conspired against me and contaminated brake pads.

So I immediately rinsed the affected area and cleaned as best with what I had on hand, but it was all too late.
On the next ride, 'squwarck squack squarck' and a bad shudder coming from the front brake on mild application.
"Bugger!"

So I tried the easy way first - I rode to the bike shop and bought a $30 can of Krush MTB brake cleaner and doused 'em.
That worked for about 6 rotations and the shudder came back.
"Bugger!"

So then I removed the pads and gave them a mild sand with medium abrasive - same for the disc. And that went a few miles before the shudder came back - diminished but ...
"Bugger!"

So I removed the pads again and gave them a heavy sand with medium abrasive and did the disc thoroughly again too.
Noise gone, shudder Diminished - but still very annoying.
"Bugger!"

So then I rode back to the shop again and paid $25 for new Shimano pads - as I should have done in the first place - and proceeded to install and bed them in again - (for the 4th time!)

Fixed.

One droplet of WD-40 = several hours, two long rides, a dose of frustration - and $55.

And that's not all it cost me! While I was at the shop getting the disc cleaner I also bought myself a proper 1/4 drive Torque wrench which cost a bomb too.

But with the carbon bits and composite components on this machine I figured my existing 1/2 drive wrench is a bit over-engineered/specified.

But it's a nice thing.

IMG_9047.jpg

One other thing I have done in the past with badly contaminated discs is to remove them and run them through the dishwasher - that works a treat - but not for pads.

Last edited:
One tiny droplet of WD-40. That's all it took.

View attachment 249180

I was fitting the ergo grips to the Fastroads and one was a bit tight going on, so I gave it a quick shot of WD - taking what I thought was due care and attention, but no, one drop ricocheted off the bars and arced in slow motion directly to the front brake disc.
"Nooooooo! Nooooooo! Nooooooo!" I cried, being fully aware of the disaster that was unfolding in stop motion before me.

You see, it's not the first time WD overspray has conspired against me and contaminated brake pads.

So I immediately rinsed the affected area and cleaned as best with what I had on hand, but it was all too late.
On the next ride, 'squwarck squack squarck' and a bad shudder coming from the front brake on mild application.
"Bugger!"

So I tried the easy way first - I rode to the bike shop and bought a $30 can of Krush MTB brake cleaner and doused 'em.
That worked for about 6 rotations and the shudder came back.
"Bugger!"

So then I removed the pads and gave them a mild sand with medium abrasive - same for the disc. And that went a few miles before the shudder came back - diminished but ...
"Bugger!"

So I removed the pads again and gave them a heavy sand with medium abrasive and did the disc thoroughly again too.
Noise gone, shudder Diminished - but still very annoying.
"Bugger!"

So then I rode back to the shop again and paid $25 for new Shimano pads - as I should have done in the first place - and proceeded to install and bed them in again - (for the 4th time!)

Fixed.

One droplet of WD-40 = several hours, two long rides, a dose of frustration - and $55.

And that's not all it cost me! While I was at the shop getting the disc cleaner I also bought myself a proper 1/4 drive Torque wrench which cost a bomb too.

But with the carbon bits and composite components on this machine I figured my existing 1/2 drive wrench is a bit over-engineered/specified.

But it's a nice thing.

View attachment 249181

One other thing I have done in the past with badly contaminated discs is to remove them and run them through the dishwasher - that works a treat - but not for pads.
Pads are cheap but I’ve had great luck with taking the pads and rotor off, giving a quick spray of brake cleaner, and lighting it to burn off any contaminants. Should only burn for several seconds. Then let them air cool. With sintered pads this and a light scuff with 240 sandpaper should get them bedded in nicely

Just a thought

Back