New Build - Build, Painting, etc Q's

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, finally getting my second build underway and have a couple painting questions that I couldn't find specific answer to doing a search.

Here's how she's looking so far:
IMG_20130207_214359_zps7949a82e.jpg

I'd really like to paint the wheels a matte black color but they are currently a bit rusted and gunked up with YEARS of dirt n such. I don't have the tools or knowledge to take wheels apart a re-lace them just yet so I'm trying to figure out a way to clean them good enough for some new paint. You guys have any tips or tricks that I may overlook? I was thinking of scrubbing them with a good wirebrush to get the surface rust and dirt off, but I doubt that'll be good enough for a new coat of paint.

I'm really trying to go for a rat look overall but still would like the wheels to look a little better and match the black of the tires a little more. The frame I had originally planned to paint as well but now that the rubber's on, I may just leave it the way it is. Really diggin the faded paint and grungy look. If I do leave the frame as it is, would it be best to clean it and and least shoot it with some clear to protect it?

The tires are Hookworms, which I really like, but I hoped they'd be a little wider on the stock rims. I guess I'll have to do with though since I just bought a skiptooth chain and crank to complement the New Departure Model D hub.

This is a bit of a ramble so any help or thoughts are appreciated!

If these wheels are in good shape (trued, etc.), you are wise not to take them apart. Spokes are surprisingly spendy and know how is a must for wheelbuilding. I would mask your spokes as well as possible and sand blast the rims in a cabinet. If you don't have the tools to do that, look into local sandblasting facilities. I just had my local guy blast a set of OG Schwinn rims for me for under $20. There are other ways, but IMO <$20 trumps the elbow grease required. P.S. if you paint your rims, make sure you take the time to clear coat them SEVERAL times to keep them in decent shape. Good luck

mooseknuckle2000 said:
If these wheels are in good shape (trued, etc.), you are wise not to take them apart. Spokes are surprisingly spendy and know how is a must for wheelbuilding. I would mask your spokes as well as possible and sand blast the rims in a cabinet. If you don't have the tools to do that, look into local sandblasting facilities. I just had my local guy blast a set of OG Schwinn rims for me for under $20. There are other ways, but IMO <$20 trumps the elbow grease required. P.S. if you paint your rims, make sure you take the time to clear coat them SEVERAL times to keep them in decent shape. Good luck

be sure to clean and regrease the hubs. sand gets into everything!

jerrykr said:
mooseknuckle2000 said:

be sure to clean and regrease the hubs. sand gets into everything!
^^agreed!

Thanks guys appreciate the info. While trying to get one of the rear axle nuts off (some goober tightened the wrong size nut on and it froze in place) last night I decided to learn what was inside a kick back hub and take it apart to regrease it.

What would be some good cleaner to just get everything nice and clean? It had been sitting outside for quite a while before I snatched it up which I'm sure you can tell. I'll check out some local sandblasters as well. If anyone knows of a good blaster around the Philadelphia area that would be a huge help!

This would be ok for the frame, rims, etc? Or is that for the internals? Just would like to clean the whole lot up while keeping it's rattiness...

Good for cleaning up bearings, etc. This eats up rust and probably isn't the best on paint either. Probably would start with just water and a light abrasive (at least at first) to try and prevent any unnecessary damage to the paint.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Took it to a local shop yesterday and may actually now paint the frame with Rustoleum Hammered Finish Dark Bronze. I think with that paint and some matte black wheels it'll really pop. Though now that just doubled my prep time, at least. Good thing though, is that the hammer finish paint says it can be applied to any surface with rust or without. I'll still do my best to get all the surface as clean as possible.

Sounds cool. Also, if you're using hammered, you shouldn't have to wet sand your primer or anything, so prep time shouldn't be too bad. Good luck and show us some pics when you're done!
-Robby

Back