New, but here's me bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well wasn't sure where to put this, seems the right place! Just a few bikes I have right now.
My first and only, thus far, attempt at a ratty kind of bike. After looking around here, so inspired! BTW, I don't even know what year or model it is, it was painted a funky green when I got it. The serial # is on the left dropout, but starts with an "8", and 7 digits, 8(G or 6) 07525. Didn't see that combination on the Schwinn serial # list. Don't think anything was original exept the frame and maybe forks. It had a SA 3 speed on a bent rim. Anyways.. Got me around last summer, but new plans for it! I did a rub n' buff brass on it a bit, so not so flat black. Now I see, not so much a rat rod, but gotta' start somewhere!
IMG_20110404_181127.jpg

IMG_20110404_231547.jpg

The woman's Hollywood, Kinda mostly restored. Then..
BikesandStuff093.jpg

BikesandStuff098.jpg

BikesandStuff091.jpg

Now.. Needed a front rim, the old one had holes rusted through. So the one here is another wheel I aquired. Still need to fix it up. And the grips should be white. In retrospect, was pretty cool all rusty.. And after all that, the ladyfriend would rather have a Stingray Fair Lady!
IMG_20110404_181217.jpg

IMG_20110404_181241.jpg

And me newest aquisition, a Rollfast. don't know much about it, this is how I got it. Except I flipped the bars and put the light high, a la' miner style. Maybe nothing special, but I'll do it up!
IMG_20110404_181412.jpg

IMG_20110404_181402.jpg

IMG_20110404_181356.jpg

Yes I did. Learned to respoke a wheel as well. Not too hard, but I wouldn't say easy! Maybe not an exact restore, but fun and good experience. After looking at another serial # list, I believe the first is a '58 Schwinn something.. It has the Schwinn headbagde, the rear brake loop and chainguard like a similar year Jaguar. Whatever it was, it is what it is now!

Yes I did, but 'cheated" I guess. Can you tell? :oops: After the rim was painted and laced and such, I put it in a cordless drill, and spun it, not too fast. Held a pencil in my hand against the rim, basically touching the spinning rim with my thumb, then layed a pencil line. I lined the pencil in my hand against the rim of another pinstriped rim, to get about the right depth. Then if the rim is not perfectly true, the line follows the rim, getting a fairly good line. Did an inside and outside line, then taped it off and painted it. I suppose you could rig something like an L bracket in a vice or something to get the right depth, and maybe some kind of device to hold the pencil too. It reminds me of manually putting the needle on a record, kind of! I didn't look around to see the "right" way, and maybe this has been done before, just what I came up with.

Feb 05, 1958, that G looks like a 6, but then the number doesn't match anything.

I think just the frame, forks, fenders and chain guard are original, and the front fender has a replacement brace. It looks like a Tiger, as it's the only 3 speed with painted fenders from what I could gather from the catalogs, using 1957 as a reference, there weren't illustrations of many 58 bikes. The rear brake brace is the giveaway for a 3 speed, others had a different bracket for mounting just a fender. So if the 3 speed hub was original, and it didn't have chrome fenders, it's probably a Tiger. If they didn't sand everything down, you might find the name under the paint on the chain guard.

iodvfn.jpg

Back