New Departure Model D Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm rebuilding a New Departure Model D hub and I have a few questions... :D

First of all, most of the reference threads show brass discs (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30484), but mine are are all steel. I'm curious about the difference, is it significant? The outer edges of the discs are covered with a thin hard black coating. I'm assuming this is dried grease, but its so hard to remove I'm wondering if it was an intentional coating?

Secondly, there is a smaller bearing race encapsulated by the driver, a dust cap, and sprocket. I've having trouble taking apart this whole assembly for cleaning. I'm wondering if anyone has tips on how do to this? The dust cap has three small indents that appears to use a special tool to take it apart?
ScreenShot2012-12-04at111302AM.png

Finally, I've cleaned out most of the grease in the hub but there is some dried oil that is almost prehistoric in nature. I've been dousing it in WD40 and taking steel wool to it but its pretty stubborn. Most of the time I end up having to take a pocket knife and chip it off. My problem is extracting this hard stuck on grease from the bearing races and other hard to reach places. I'm wondering if there is a better soaking solution, like oven cleaner, that might be less labor intensive?

Thanks!
Shawn

This method should not ever be use because of the high danger factor!

I will use a mason jar with enough gasoline to cover the parts. I soak over night and the stuck on oil and grease cleans right up. That also helps release the grime holding your dust cap in place. No special tool needed, just have to break the grip of time.

Back