new departure repair

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is there a secret to getting the sprocket off of the new departure rear hub? I can't seem to get it off, and need to be able to get out the bearings in there to clean them. This has a locknut. Does the locknut, and sprocket both come off counterclockwise? The last one of these I worked on, I never did get that sprocket off either. Thanks for any help. I have looked at the how to section, but it doesn't really show it being removed at all. Thanks

The lock nut and sprocket both come off counter clockwise IIRC.
Put the axle in a vice with soft face jaws, I use aluminum. Take off the lock nut, then the sprocket. If the sprocket is stubborn, use a chain whip. Or if you're poor like me, put a piece of aluminum on one of the teeth then tap it with a hammer. Also using some penetrating oil can't hurt, PB Blaster is the best.

The lock nut is left hand thread. Turn it clockwise to remove it. One way to remove the gear from the driver is to remove the lock ring then re-install the hub on a bike. Put the chain on. Jam on the brakes and the gear will likely unscrew from the driver. Gary

Thanks a lot. I still wasn't able to get the sprocket off, but did get the lockring off. It did indeed come off clockwise direction, so I was able to get to the bearing, get them cleaned up and lubed, which is the main thing I needed. I just finished putting it all back together, and it seems to work great. Just need to get it on the bike and give it a go.

Latest posts

Back