New guy from the Mitten

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, new guy coming in from The Mitten (Michigan). I just bought an old Sportmaster cruiser a few weeks ago and I'm hooked. By the way, anyone that can give me some information about my Sportmaster (maker, etc.) it would be greatly appreciated. The guy I bought it from had no idea, and I can't find anything on the internet. I've now poured in over 10 hours into it and I can't even ride it yet. I tore everything off the bike, stripped the paint and have undergone my first rattle-can experience (one I will not soon forget).
Original
ogrockit.jpg

The paint was all chipped up, the fenders were rusted and bent, but there were a few redeeming qualities. Rims and crankset were still nice. I put some new rubber on the wheels, gave them a scrub down with some steel wool and Simple Green and they came out pretty nice.
rockitwheel.jpg

I stripped the paint off the frame, sanded it down and then began my hourS long journey into the land of rattlecanning. This picture is of the frame, chainguard and front fork after many layers of rustoleum professional spraypaint and clear enamel. A little orange peel and overspray but not a bad first attempt. You can see my decal I had made up as the bike's namesake "The Rock-it"
rocketrockit.jpg

I just ordered a new chrome 26" springer front fork and it should be here in about a week. I kept the original handlebars and grips, pedals and seat. Let me know what you guys think.

welcome aboard! looks like you're all ready to start posting in the bike builds section :D

im not sure who makes the sportsmaster, but my guess is columbia, of course i'm only guessing by looking at the seat because i look the same as mine.

congrats on your first of many rattle can experiances :D

Welcome from a fellow michigander. You should check out the Defying the law bicycle club myspace page. We ride every weekend from the Mobil station on Woodward just south of 9 mile. You need to look at the website to find out which day and the time (usually 12:30).

WELCOME! Nice job on the bike.

Welcome, looks like you live in my neighborhood, Ferndale. Boardtrack fan and I ride pretty often, mostly every week with Defying the LAw bike club but there are quite a few other groups that have some cool stuff going on. Welcome to the board and maybe I'll run into you around the neighborhood.

Back