New idea for brakes on 24" wheel swaps...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just found this:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

I had wondered if something like this could be done, and apparently it can. It's intended to allow short-reach brakes to be used in long-reach applications. However, if you do it with a set of long-reach brakes, it might give the length needed to get the extra inch from the brake bolt to the rim when using a 24" rim in a 26" frame. I'm wondering about another issue: are there any caliper brakes WIDE enough to straddle a 3-inch tire? and are long-reach brakes DEEP enough to reach around a 3" tire to the rim? (I'm thinking about old long-reach centerpulls...)

Or should I just give up on this and go with a 3-speed coaster?

Can you tell I REALLY want to do a cruiser with Front Freewheel? :roll:

--rick

ps feel free to laugh at me because I'm talking all this stuff and haven't even found a donor bike to start with yet...

Rick,

Funny you should post this. I just added the Odessey 1999 to a bike that had no brake mounting point. There was a bracket on the frame for a fender but never a caliper. I added some angled alum. front and back to make it sturdier. I think this brake may fit around a 2.0" tire from a mtb or bmx.

CIMG0491.jpg

CIMG0490.jpg

hey ParkRNDL
it's ponytailmike just saw this on another post
if your still looking for a disk brake front freewheel system and 24x3
think i have may have found your anwser
check this out
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/defaulth ... r%3D505202
use it with a track hub
a track hub should have freewheel thread on both sides
one side will also a reverse thread lock ring
use this side for the disk brake adapter
you will still need to do some fab work
but this may be gettting you in the ball park
for the front disk just use any single sided freewheel hub
when the disk brake adapters are on the left side of the bike they
will always be trying to tighten themselves on to the hub while braking
i haven't forgot about your build
hope this helps

ponytailmike
mike

hey Mike, thanks for thinking of me, but the drivetrain on this has taken a different turn. now I'm looking for a 3-speed coaster like you mentioned earlier. the FFS is still around, it'll just wait in the shed for its turn. but I got my 24s, and the look is developing... check the Spacerat thread in the Builds forum...

--rick

Back