NEW KLUNKER IN TOWN

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant wait to see what you do with that frame! I always thought it had a ton of potential!

I guess I kind of get the idea behind a klunker. I am not finding the right stuff for my build off (without spending 3 times more than I spent on Grumpy last year, so I am considering a killer klunker for RRBB08

Terry66 said:
Cant wait to see what you do with that frame! I always thought it had a ton of potential!

Yeah, it does, thanks again (were you interested in my Spaceliner frame, I'm not going to do anything with it). Since those mystery brackets on the frame are still a mystery I think I'm going to cut them off. I love the patina on the frame but I think I may actually paint it. :shock:

Terry66 said:
I guess I kind of get the idea behind a klunker. I am not finding the right stuff for my build off (without spending 3 times more than I spent on Grumpy last year, so I am considering a killer klunker for RRBB08

DO IT!

Peatbog said:
Furthermore, if I can crash onto a gravel road and gets rocks up under my skin trying to get an action shot, that will be cool too.
Judging criteria will be a combination of accuracy of duplicating the shot and epicness of the action......so you might win. :mrgreen:

You should Terry, the more the merrier. Grumpy was one of my top picks last year, would love to see what you come up with this time too (klunker or not)

cman said:
...Judging criteria will be a combination of accuracy of duplicating the shot and epicness of the action......so you might win. :mrgreen:

Can we submit x-rays and doctor bills as well to supprt epicness ? :lol:

ratina said:
Still can't seem to find a bmx style 26" thread-less fork that isn't over $100

Check out the NS Bikes Fundamental, super nice forks, normally $130, but they came out with a newer model, so now they are on sale around $50.
It doesn't have any brake mounts, either. :D
http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results ... Qgod8RAATg

Redline Monocog forks show up used pretty frequently.

My new Klunker in town

4E0FCDE9-E0AC-44AA-8C3E-843164158130-4019-0000029689B2C54F-1.jpg

Peatbog, I don't have any issues with our Klunker sub-build-off being cross platform traditional/anything goes, like you said, as long as it's still a "Klunker" in spirit.

Some people may scoff at my "klunker" because of my (only in theory right now) suspension front fork, but otherwise, it's an old frame with a coaster rear and single speed.

Let's Do This!

With the new rules I'm just running the stock paint job on the Heavy Duti frame, I really do like it although I was wanting to powder coat it orange at some point. I know the frames only 7/8 years old so its not really a classic, but I think I will just roll the dice in the traditional class and see where it gets me. Looking forward to it, and I'm already trying to figure out where these action shots are going to take place. That's the prize I'm really shootin for :mrgreen:

MADDAWG said:
My new Klunker in town

That looks like the brother of my Town and Klunky...
klunk1_zpsf39e1d6b.jpg

Those Treks make for a nice light klunker, and with a 1 1/8' headset you can even add shocks. 8)

There was a 1 time klunker build off a while back, we are just talking abount building klunkers for this years main build off in may, but I think those who want to be considered as a klunker will be trying to take an action shot "klunking" or at least as close as we can get to it. Cman did an action shot with his klunkers build way back so I Think he will be judging the "klunking pic" for some kind of bragging rights. The klunker portion of the build off is still highly unorganized at this point and mainly just to entertain those with the klunker bug :mrgreen:

Bigcam59 said:
MADDAWG said:
My new Klunker in town

That looks like the brother of my Town and Klunky...
klunk1_zpsf39e1d6b.jpg

Those Treks make for a nice light klunker, and with a 1 1/8' headset you can even add shocks. 8)

Yes Sir , i think they're bros . Had mine disguised as a sleeper with a flat bar , og tires and crank at first .

D3C2C917-D8B2-4A09-864D-D8CFEE4B467F-414-0000001BD456A952.jpg

My understanding is that a SS with CB only is a bomber.
A singlespeed with front&rear brakes is a klunker
A ballooner cruiser that has been modded to the point that it has front and rear brakes, plus derailer gears is a hybrid.

Of course, I think this is largely revisionist classification, brought about by modern folks who are accustomed to a lot of sub-genres existing within each genre of biking taking an interest in these primitive trailbikes. When I watched the Klunkerz movie, it seemed to me thatth ese terms were kind of informal and basically non-standardized; different folks used different terms for the different bikes.

In the end, I suspect that a lot of ppl contributing to this thread are building bikes to an aesthetic, rather than actually doing their best to make a trail-worthy machine out of a re-purposed cruiser. Folks rocked bombers b/c they were broke or b/c, early on in the mountainbiking craze, they didn't know what worked just yet. If you've ever spent about 5 minutes riding offroad, you know you want more than just a coaster. The derailer gears thing is something that can go either way, but when I see ppl with a 3speed "klunker", I know they're going to kill the hub if they ever ride it for real offroad. Those hubs aren't designed to shift under load, they aren't designed for >2:1 gear ratios, and they aren't built for the kind of abuse that trail-riding dishes out. Show me a 3speed klunker, and I'll show you either a brand-new build, or a bike that was built for show rather than go. (Nothing wrong with that; those bikes tend to look pretty cool...much better than derailer-equipped versions.)

I think it's weird that the original klunker-type guys were doing their best to advance a new sport; they were using old-frames, but a high-tech approach. In trying to replicate their bikes, we are actually doing the opposite. If those guys were born 35years later, they'd be on cutting-edge, modern mountainbikes today. They rode Schwinn Excelsior frames because actual mountain bikes hadn't been built/invented yet.

I think Bicycle808 has said it best, don't get hung up on the terminology, just take an old bike never meant to be a mountain bike and make it into one, call it a klunker and walk away from the people who argue that what you have is not a klunker because there will be no good conversation coming from them during or after that debate.

But, everyone building a klunker does need to see the historical documents...

http://www.klunkerz.com/

The trailer is here: http://www.klunkerz.com/trailer-1.html

Klunkerz is not available to stream on Netflix, but if you get the DVDs by mail you can get it there.

On Amazon, under $16.90 with Prime free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Klunkerz-about-De ... s=klunkerz

Back