New purchase-D440 29'er

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Figured I better get a pic of it now, it's never gonna look this nice again. Got a killer deal on a leftover Redline D440 so I couldn't pass it up. Wasn't a fan of the stock v-brakes or tires, so I put a mechanical disc on the rear, and went with some more aggressive CST tires. Still want to swap out some parts, but for now I'm gonna ride the poo out of it. :)

IMG_4058.jpg

I actually prefer single speed, but it'll be nice to have an 8 speed back on the trails. I've always got the coaster brake klunker for single speed fun :wink:

Did you remove the front brakes? They have so much better stopping power.

Yeah, I ordered a set of 180mm for the front but it's on backorder. The rear is pretty dialed in and stopping great, but I definitely need some fronts as well.

I ordered the BB7's, some people have good things to say, some hate them, I guess I'll find out soon. There's a guy that comes into the shop with BB5's, they seem like decent calipers but I've never had the chance to ride it.

I have had nothing but problems with my BB5's Im thinking about switching to hydraulic, but i dont know if i want to spend that kind of money right now. Only one side of the bb5 is adjustable, and it just moves right out of adjustment after a ride.

Bikesdirect has some BB7's for pretty cheap...and its a set

I hear BB7's are the best mechanicals. That will be a great bike when get is set up.

I found some BB7's on closeout, looks like I'm gonna run a 203mm up front now :p . Just got back from the local trails, I love this bike!

necessaryevil said:
I found some BB7's on closeout, looks like I'm gonna run a 203mm up front now :p . Just got back from the local trails, I love this bike!
Awesome...Let me know how the 203mm is...might have to switch mine out...
180mm in the rear and 203 in the front...

Make sure to use at least the Speed Dial 7 levers with the BB7s, makes a real difference in being able to adjust the feel.

On my Iron Horse 7p3 I've ditched Hayes hydros in favor of BB7s so much less hassle, and no loss of braking power.

Yeah, I think my next purchase will be levers so I can ditch the stock ones. 3 weeks and about 50 miles at the local trails, no complaints yet. Got my 203 on the front and it is pretty big :shock: , lots of stopping power. Been playing around at the bmx track, learning to ride it like it's a big old bmx bike. Jumping and cornering is a blast on this thing, learning to manual is soo much tougher than I thought it would be. Been thinking about going to a short stem to solve that.

IMG_4076.jpg

The 29ers are tougher to lift in general due to the geometry, or at least body position in relation to it. Sounds like from what I'm reading sub 17" chainstays are a must for that and there aren't many out there like that most are 17.5" and up.

Back