New to site but not RRB building

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man am I ever stoked to have found this site! In college I made a habit of buying vintage cruiser and balloon or tank bikes along with whatever other parts I could scrape together on Ebay then combining them with some intricate custom paint jobs. I made and sold 3 custom jobs and took the very small amount I made on them to start scraping one together for myself (a totally sick 1956 spitfire turned custom with the coolest part being a really intricate Blue Ghost Flame on Black glossy paint job). After college I made my 5th custom job for my wife which she still rides now some 6 years later.
The downside to living in San Diego on a Boat (there aren't many downsides) is that the salt air just destroys bikes. You can see a pic of mine post rust takeover in my profile pic. Just a couple months ago I let it go at a yard sale for like $25 which I now regret. On the upside I have a "new" project bike. This one is some super beefy schwinn frame in like a satin black finish. It's a lot more solid and fun to ride and I'm putting a few hours into riding it each week - which of course had refueled my obsession for customizing bikes.
A big priority for this bike will be functionality, and durability. I want it to be extremely rideable with a paint job that is eye-catching but easy to maintain. I've started the madness with a silver pinstripe flame motif on the already satin black frame and fork which is turning out great. My immediate goal is to try to upgrade to black rims with a 24x3 all black tire/3spd nexus hub in the rear and 26 all black front tire. Any ideas for how to find a good deal on these is much appreciated.
I'll try to put up some photos but that will require figuring out photobucket and I've avoided that for a while. I wish I had pics of the first bikes I did, they were extremely cool and I did document my process but unfortunately the hard drive I kept all that on is fried and long gone so the best I can do is my wife's now rusty but still way cool tank bike and my new project schwinn
Thanks for reading and welcoming me to the community :-D

Here is a pic of my '56 schwinn spitfire AKA the Blue Ghost. It was originally green with white pinstriping and the like as an original schwinn. Obviously when I first customized it, it was not a total rustbucket, but even like this I think it looks cool:

PA121883.jpg

The major changes were an intricate and well thought out mettallic blue Ghost Flame paint job. Chainguard delete. Blue handlegrips and anodized pedals. Chrome headlight. 144 spoke Chrome wheels. HUGE halfmoon handlebars. reversed gooseneck, Bent fork, and the sparkle Blue banana seat for a super chill ride. This thing was so fun and it bummed me out so much to see it rust away. I practically gave it away at a yard sale which i now regret. :|
Here is a front view

PA121886.jpg

Ok I took some pictures of my wife's bike which was one of my earlier builds now gone to rust and such. She's 8.5 mo's pregnant so right now she rides a mountain bike that is much easier for her but before her pregnancy she's ride this super regularly. Despite it's many squeaks and rattles, and the near consuming rust this bike gets multiple compliments every time she has it out. Again it's a bit depressing for me to think of all the hard work I put into it only to see it all rust on the dock but I still love this bike. I'll try to describe it's story a bit:
I had figured out the year for it when I originally did the build but now I don't remember. At any rate it's a super old JC Higgins. It was a rusty barn find that I picked up on Ebay for a song and then restored. I cannot for the life of me remember the original color but I sanded it all off and gave it a powder blue and white motif. I did this cool little detail on the frame where the white looks like running paint drips as it switches to powder blue. I did the original rims in powder blue with white spokes and they've never been as true as they could be (I am the worst at truing wheels, especially when they are old and not straight to begin with) I put this super fatty seat that is super comfortable, replaced the grips, added the back rack and front basket. My wife added a cool pin to the basket of a bike that looks just like it. I always liked to leave the badges in 100% as is condition. I feel like you can redo the whole bike super nice and leaving the badge shows where it came from.
Anyway hope you enjoy looking at this super cool bike. I'll probably give it some more attention once we get things handles with the new baby now that I'm back into the bikes again. Here are some pics :)
P5103120.jpg

P5103121.jpg

P5103119.jpg

Back