New Welder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats funny. The Miller guy told me that the older welders they sold never broke , and they were
killing their own customers. Now with the computer boards in them they have problems after 5 years.
It lets them make money on parts. So if you find an older welder here and its in good shape they rarely
break. They are the best deal. I probably should have done that, but I'm old and probably won't out live
my new welder. :lol: :lol:

You made an excellent choice, I have the exact same welder hands down for a home shop small project weld and price there is not a better welder out there.

anything can be done with this welder

I hope so Migz , I guess only time will tell.

Rocket I came real close to getting the 211. That 110/220 feature was so appealing. The
$1100 price tag , and never welding anything thick stopped me from pulling the trigger
on one. I have a Lincoln 225 cracker box to weld anything thick with. I can still do pretty
good with a stick welder. Cut my teeth on that one. :wink:

Hobart 140 was $499 plus tax. Argon75% 25% co2 was $23 for a 130 bottle full. Cost $20 to have oxygen valve changed
to argon and $20 to re certify the tank. So about $620 total and I owned the bottle. Bottles are about $250 filled if
you had to buy one, might be cheaper to rent. They rent a big one for $66 a year plus gas.
A guy had a 1 year old Hobart 140 for $400. It was the older version with 4 heat taps instead of 5 and I think the wire
feed was plastic. He sold it before I could buy it. If I went that route I could have rented a tank and the total would have
been around $475.

Looked like the Lincoln 140 was about $525 and the Hobart 140 was $499 and the Miller 140 was $708 free shipping
on Ebay. Amazon had the Hobart for $499 but wanted tax and shipping.EEKK! Lowe's and Home Depot have
the Lincoln and they are both $525.

Uncle Stretch said:
I hope so Migz , I guess only time will tell.

Rocket I came real close to getting the 211. That 110/220 feature was so appealing. The
$1100 price tag , and never welding anything thick stopped me from pulling the trigger
on one. I have a Lincoln 225 cracker box to weld anything thick with. I can still do pretty
good with a stick welder. Cut my teeth on that one. :wink:

I learned Stick with old school helmets too......the first time I used a Mig with an auto darkening helmet, I swear I heard angels sing :lol: :lol:

Yeah Rocket, I don't miss that bright flash when your trying to get a rod in between
some metal parts . I do believe God decided to give welders a break when he let us
discover the mig. I love mine.

Got me some casters to build a cart for my new welder. Should be heavy duty.

DSCF0001_zpsc00b368f.jpg

Got the base built to my cart....way over kill. I used 2'' square tubing 1/8th inch thick. Won't be any worries
weather it will hold up my welder and bottle. Got the welder dialed in. It and me are doing fine.
DSCF0003_zps97593b45.jpg

DSCF0001_zpscf25017a.jpg

Got the wheels on it. Really building a welding cart isn't to exciting. :lol: :roll:
Maybe I could put a crank , some bars on it and enter it in the anything goes .Ah its already started.
DSCF0002_zps523bdcda.jpg

Yeah I'm not sure I would want to build one of them. I did have a friend that got some big stainless pipe
and built some mufflers for his truck.
Ok I got more done. It kinda looks like I got too much angle and then its a little high. I wanted to hold the bottle
as good as I could and I just looked at another one online and tried for that angle. It won't really matter and
maybe when its finished and painted with the stuff on , it will look better. Now it kinda looks like a holder
for a small block chevy. :shock: :shock: Was welding pretty good till I got to the legs....then a bunch of sputtering
and poping. It figures. I turned it up some and it helped a little. Glad I'm not a professional welder....I would starve
to death. :lol:
DSCF0001_zps05a6a986.jpg

DSCF0001_zpse9acbac8.jpg

Got the bottle holder built.
DSCF0001_zps967164c0.jpg

DSCF0002_zps7b40b8d8.jpg

About all that is left is to paint it. The mockup worked perfect.
DSCF0001_zps16e20e56.jpg

DSCF0004_zps9f8a49d0-1.jpg

Got my cart painted and I had some 1'' aluminum angle , so I decided to use it for some trim.
Made it look pretty good. So other than letting it dry and then putting the welder on , I'm done.
Is a good addition to my new welder and the old one will fit in the bottom. Nice and tidy. :wink:

DSCF0002_zpsd4606d4e.jpg

Thanks Steve , not as exciting as a cool bike build ,but its been fun. Gave me some practice with
the new welder. :D

Its funny Luke I keep looking at my cart and figuring out more things to do to it. Really I could have
gotten a 12' gun,instead of the 10' it came with and put it next to my smaller Miller. :lol: My shop is only
24' long. Not a lot of need for a welding cart. I get goofy sometimes. If I ever win the lotto...buy a big
house in the country with my 30x40 shop , then I will be sitting pretty with a killer welding cart that will
hold any welder I put on it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Now where did I leave that ticket? :shock: :shock:

Ok last addition to this cart posting.
Got my Fab friend to cut me some stainless and put it under where the welders go. Stops the paint
from getting scratched. Looks kinda spiffy too.
DSCF0003_2_zpsef4576c2.jpg

DSCF0001_zps0e28e182-1.jpg

DSCF0003_zpsce055d28.jpg

Back