Newbie in need of some help =D

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided I wanted a bicycle to get to and from school since I don't drive. So I went to this one guy in my town who fixes up old bikes and redoes them. This is the bike he is redoing. He said $155 after its done. I am having him fix it up, paint it all black and add fenders. Is that a good price? It's a Galaxy flyer.

5zh6if.jpg

2yk12qs.jpg

1z6ts2t.jpg

Yep, I'd say the price is right. That's what I would ask if I were doing some paint work, polishing the chrome, and adding some parts like fenders and new tires, probably a new chain too.

LaurenStanger,
I would say it is a fair price, and it's good that you are choosing to reuse an old bike rather than buy a cheap new one. I would always check with others who have bought bikes from him if you can just to verify that he does good work. Also, if he is willing you should see if he will show you how to do some minor maintenance like changing a tire or adjusting your chain. I have always found that the more you are able to do on a bike yourself the less frustrating owning it will be. Let us know how it works out.

Cheers

He should guarantee it for that price, and take care of adjustments you might need down the road. It'll have to have new tires and things, so I would say $155 is a good price, if it rides great when you get it. Btw, that looks like a Huffy from the late 60's, nice!

It is a Huffy built Western Flyer. The first number in the serial number is the last number of the year it was made. For example 5H123456 would be a 1955, 65 or 75. Your bike is most likely 1960's so that should give you an exact year.

Once the vintage bike bug bites you, it doesn't stop. Enjoy your first one.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and tips. I'll be sure to ask him to show me how to do some of those things! I'll post pics with it when I get it probably this weekend or Monday. So excited! It's going to be an all black(shiny not matte) and he said he'd even add a basket for me. =D

i need 2 go where ever u live ...i did a complete redo on this bike and only charged the lady 85.00 ...this thing was covered in rust ...took 2 layers of primer 2 full cans of paint frame n fork 1 1/2 cans of the almond color ..and a new chain !!!
img1281160205234.jpg

the kicker is when i gave it back 2 her she told me that her kids told her she couldnt ride it cause they were worried about her geting hurt ,,,so its been sittin just like that in her garage almost a year !!!!

Bikes have become very popular here all of sudden where I live. All the local college kids that go to college ride their bikes. I don't drive. So i either get a ride, take the bus or walk. Usually the first of the 3. LOL! Now I won't have an excuse after I get a bike.

And I am sorry to hear you got a bit underpaid for what you did.

THANKS for supporting your local bicyle guy,its people like you that keep people like me and others on this forum having jobs or just more money for more bikes :mrgreen:

LaurenStanger said:
Aww your welcome. I love bicycles. Lets just hope once I get on it I'll remember how to ride it. Haha! I haven't ridden since the third grade and I am 21 now!
I have a feeling once ya get on it you won't wanna stop. That's pretty much what happened to me...picked up a bike a couple years ago for the first time in like 20, and now....I can't stop! It's infectious. My legs actually hurt if I don't ride. Looking forward to some pics when she's done.

Ok I got a text from the bike guy this morning. Isn't using the galaxy flyer body for some reason. I didn't ask why. He said he found an unknown body for a bike but he put a schwinn badge it. This makes me a little nervous I want to know I am getting quality bike. But I won't know until I see it in person with my Dad who knows way more about bikes then me and checks it out with it.
Heres a pic of it. He wants $165 for it. Because he put a little extra work into it. I told him it has to have fenders or I cannot ride it in the winter. He said he'd call me back and let me know what he could do. He also said that the bikes tires were two big so the fenders didn't fit.
1zpp79c.jpg

I wouldn't be interested in the new bike at that price. It looks like a newer bike (Huffy Cranbrook?) that can be purchased new at Walmart for $79. If you want a antique/vintage bike, post an ad in the wanted section and someone on here can get you a much better bike for the same price including shipping.
41ACgbeErpL._SS500_.jpg

Thanks. I appreciate it. I feel my stomach churning at the thought of buying the new bike. I am seriously not cool with being ripped off. I think it's because I am a girl and people think they can take advantage of that. But I have the nice people on here to help me out. I think I am going to tell him thanks but no thanks and thank you for building the bike, he said there was no obligation to buy it either. But the fact is I wanted the galaxy flyer, not the "unknown brand bike".

I just sent you an email about a bike you had for the bike swap on your fb fan page. Thats the exact bike I wanted! Yeah I am 5'6 so I don't think the smaller bike would work lol.

Back