Next project is a balloon tire bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Restoring/building old bikes is a great hobby. I wrench on cars all day for a living- they've become so electronic that it's more like working on a computer that a motor vehicle.
When I was a kid, I had a middleweight bike, but one day when my dad was gone at a job, somebody had to feed the horses,. which was a 20 mile trip from our house. My about 1964 JC Higgins bike had 2 flat tires and my sister's bike wasn't working either.
There were some older people that lived up the street whose son had gone to Vietnam. They saw me working on the the tires of my bike and I told them why I needed to fix them. At which point they offered me the use of their son's bike, a probably about a 1952 Columbia fat tire. I accepted their offer and after airing the big tires, rode the thing 40 miles, round trip, to feed the horses. I remember then thinking "wow, this bike is heavy" :D
But the bike made it, the horses were fed and all was well. And I haven't forgotten that bike, so....can't wait to ride it! whatever it turns out to be. :grin:

Maybe you should find a columbia like the one you borrowed & build it to your own taste? It always means a lot more to me if I have a story to go behind a project. The old balloon tire bikes were heavy, but they sure had style! Really good quality also.

Back