Nexus 3spd Problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I havent had a Nexus 3 speed apart yet but was wondering if anyone can troubleshoot a problem. Hub shifts fine but when applying the coaster brake it shudders to a stop in kind of a reversed surging motion. Any ideas what could be worng or what to look for before pulling it apart?

on shoe coasters it seems like its almost always a lube problem. sometimes the shoes are toast but I bet they are just gettin dry...

scrumblero said:
on shoe coasters it seems like its almost always a lube problem. sometimes the shoes are toast but I bet they are just gettin dry...

+1. I had a similar issue with 2 nexus 3 speeds and lubed them with the shimano 3 speed grease and they have been fine since then.

I had the same issue & they howled very bad too! Tore it completely down cleaned & lubed... No change.. Called shimano and they kind of admitted to a possible issue. Then took to my LBS and they warrantied it.... Mind you they knew as well of the type of problem and to boot this was a used bike I bought on CL a few months before! Cheers to my LBS!!

Back