No Lowrider....Want suggestions!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this 1961, 24" Skipper last year for 40 bucks. I started ordering parts and digging through my parts heap last week. I'm not sure which direction to go with it. I just know I don't want it to look like a Low Rider.
I won't be painting it and I'm probably stuck with the tires for the time being.
The bike sat out next to a shed for serveral years and was getting pretty rough before I bought it. It took two days of EvapoRust and two more days of Marvel Mystery Oil to free the chain up, I replaced the BB and cleaned/greased the headset. The pedals may be too far gone although I'd really like to keep them. I'm going to be riding this one when I get it finished, so we'll see if they hold up!
I saw the "Sidewalk Minion" build on this site(Very cool bike) and was kind of drawing inspiration from it. So I thought about a banana seat, but I don't know for sure. Here are a couple of pics so far.
When I first got the bike:
001.jpg

With different bars
Skipper-2.jpg

With a new springer front end, new tires and wheels-With the right bars I think the front end can be made to look ok, but the white walls may have been a mistake! I was thinking 1950's hot rod :?:
Skipper-6.jpg

Skipper-7.jpg

I've changed out the bars, neck seat and added a headlight, but it got too dark for pics. I'll post them tomorrow.

I like the first bars but that's just me. Bike looks good man. Looks sweet next to that truck so make it that color. You've got a killer frame so Do What You Want! I love it! Check out the Public Enemy build. Hey Ratters!! Show some love to this guy! Sheesh! GTB!! Peace

Thanks Jake! I used the first set of bars on my Big Twin build. Great idea on the paint, but I really like the original paint.
Here's a few pics with another set of bars, a different seat and headlight:
Skipper-12.jpg

Skipper-13.jpg

I like the whitewalls with that black frame.
Black springer looks sweet on there too.
Apes look cool, but I also like the low bars. If you keep the low bars, I would suggest cutting a few inches off of both end.

Good looking build!

kingfish254 said:
I like the whitewalls with that black frame.
Black springer looks sweet on there too.
Apes look cool, but I also like the low bars. If you keep the low bars, I would suggest cutting a few inches off of both end.

Good looking build!

Cool, thanks for the input. I'll cut the bars and see how i like it. :wink:

jackdaw said:
Can't wait to see what you come up with. If your other builds are any indication, it might be pretty wild!

Thanks Man! This one's going to be a lot more traditional :D

So, I cut the bars down 1-1/2" on each end, PERFECT! Looks much better! Added some old white grips
Skipper-17.jpg

Replaced the pedals with some off an old Huffy Girls Bike, they used to be red.. I think. Look white now :)
I love the patina on this one
Skipper-14.jpg

Skipper-15.jpg

Skipper-16.jpg

Next I'm going to paint the headlight black with a white scallop.

Bigdaddy772 said:
Call it done....Looks great!!! 8) 8)
Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinkin' ! Oh, who am I foolin' I still have to try one more thing :D

You NAILED this beastie Brother!!!!!
I am sure there is more you could do if you want, but I love it just the way it sits!!!!!!!!!
Bars are perfect now!!!
I ;ove twin tubes of any kind! It just separates a bike from the normal population! Because it's "1" more. Sorta like "11"!!!
Ain't no lowrider to it! Just pure ratty B.A.!!!!
BRAVO!!!!!!!

3 wheeled wolfy said:
Idk i'd stick with black & white match the 50's theme.
Absolutely, there's no way I could bring myself to paint over the original! The cool thing about this build is I didn't do anything that would ruin the bike, no cutting or monkeying with the base. I'm keeping th original forks and the red stripe hub in a safe place.

kingfish254 said:
You NAILED this beastie Brother!!!!!
I am sure there is more you could do if you want, but I love it just the way it sits!!!!!!!!!
Bars are perfect now!!!
I ;ove twin tubes of any kind! It just separates a bike from the normal population! Because it's "1" more. Sorta like "11"!!!
Ain't no lowrider to it! Just pure ratty B.A.!!!!
BRAVO!!!!!!!
I really appreciate it! This one's been a blast to work on, simple, fast(to build) and cheap! BTW, are twin straight bar frames uncommon?

I didn;t notice the twin straightbar...That adds major coolness to me..
I think a straightblade fork with truss rods would look really sweet on there..
I saw one like yours with on it here somewhere and thought it really fit the frame nice..

With Schwinn's I don't think they are common at all. Anything that breaks away from the standard Schwinn cantilever is great.
Looking at you build a little close, the paint is just right. Nice patina, but not so far gone that it looks abuses.
You may want to beat up the light and light bracket and bolts a bit to tie them in a bit.
You have built a gem in my opinion!!!!

Yeah, that bike is just right. 8) Original paint is the way to go!

sleepy said:
Yeah, that bike is just right. 8) Original paint is the way to go!
Ok I'm diggin' it but I'm wondering how it would look with all black and fatter tires. Hmmm .... But as is I'd ride it all day! Peace

mmcdaniel69 said:
3 wheeled wolfy said:
Idk i'd stick with black & white match the 50's theme.
Absolutely, there's no way I could bring myself to paint over the original! The cool thing about this build is I didn't do anything that would ruin the bike, no cutting or monkeying with the base. I'm keeping th original forks and the red stripe hub in a safe place.
Im the same way anything with original paint is staying that way unless it's being restored or is crap.

Back