No More Shiny Bolts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Don't want shiny new bolts on your old bike? Just soak them overnight in lemon juice. It will remove zinc and leave a dull metal finish.

Before:
100_4153_zps656fee4a.jpg

After:
100_4157_zpsb0b01a14.jpg

I have my doubts that it would be strong enough to remove chrome plating. But, it couldn't hurt it if you try. I might try a small chrome bit just to see what it will do.

I did use it to tone down some new spokes with good results.

Buck Masterson said:
Just think what that stuff is doing to your body! :shock:
Exactly. My son did a science project on the effect of acidic drinks on your teeth. One drink was lemon juice. We soaked the teeth we acquired from the oral surgeon, real molars, and the one in lemon juice deteriorated by 60 %. Amazing. ACID!!!

1918 Ranger

1918 Ranger said:
Buck Masterson said:
Just think what that stuff is doing to your body! :shock:
Exactly. My son did a science project on the effect of acidic drinks on your teeth. One drink was lemon juice. We soaked the teeth we acquired from the oral surgeon, real molars, and the one in lemon juice deteriorated by 60 %. Amazing. ACID!!!

1918 Ranger

SCIENCE!! IT'S AMAZING!!

This is why your saliva creates an alkaline effect and neutralizes the acid.

The hydrochloric acid your body produces is among some of the strongest around.

Rat Rod said:

there is a disease that some people have where they don't produce that saliva alkline, and their teeth become rotted away to nothing at a very young age. If my memory serves me correct, there was a punk rock singer who was afflicted with it. Can't remember who it was though.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
Rat Rod said:

there is a disease that some people have where they don't produce that saliva alkline, and their teeth become rotted away to nothing at a very young age. If my memory serves me correct, there was a punk rock singer who was afflicted with it. Can't remember who it was though.

You guys are both starting to sound like Cliff Clavin. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

heya onehorsepower
i can tell you from experience vinegar will remove everything and make it not shine
here is what vinegar will do to parts
1214121531_zps2d95a4ce.jpg

sorry don't have a before pic but that's a 1970 14 tooth sprocket im not sure of the brand but it was so rusty it looked like it was painted orange and extremely greasy
so yeah it will do the sane method however it will strip to bare untreated metal
hope that helps
Sean

Actually Norm...
Although lemons are acidic, they are considered to be a high alkaline food due to their alkalizing effect on the body when digested. Like all high alkaline foods, lemons leave an alkaline ash residue after being digested. This ash residue aids in supplying the blood with more oxygen, which results in an optimally functioning body.

Drinking water with lemon is a way to help create a more alkaline body. And also, it's true: Drinking beer can be good for your kidneys. Specifically, drinking beer in moderation can help prevent kidney stones--although other factors come into play as well, such as drinking lots of water, getting regular exercise (riding your bike) and, oh yes, drinking beer in moderation.

How Does Beer Prevent Kidney Stones?
Drinking beer can help prevent kidney stones because it helps prevent calcium deposits from being formed in your kidneys. Stouts, porters or other beers with lots of hops are best. Calcium deposits mix with salts and other minerals and ultimately turn into kidney stones. Indeed, researchers in Finland in the 1980s conducted a study of 27,001 male smokers between the ages of 50 and 69 and found each daily bottle of beer consumed reduced the risk of kidney stones by 40 percent.

Cheers!

Back