No name, no budget, no worries

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: No Name Yet

I like the gussets, but i hate to see that sweet original paint job go away. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Going a different route on my front end. Scored these forks today (thanks oldride) and they scream 70's drag bike. Just have some fabricating to do so they'll fit and look right.

026.jpg

shoot yea! those forks are gonna be sweet! definitely watching this one. lets see the seat!!!

Here's where I'm at now. Fork legs are way too long, steer tube is way too long. I've got some work to do.
IMG_5746.jpg

Here's a rough idea of what I want. Probably make some kind of clip on handlebars.
mockup.jpg

Had some time this morning to start stripping the paint down. I have Sunday free so I plan on getting my seat, gussets, and forks at least tacked up. I gotta get my butt moving on this build. :shock:

IMG_5747.jpg

great! i'm looking forward to seeing some more progress, especially that seat. i hope to get a little accomplished on my own build this weekend too

Re: No Name Yet (progress pics)

Made some progress today, but not nearly as much as I had hoped to. Planned on getting my seat and frame gussets cut/tacked up, but I've somehow misplaced an entire sheet of 20 gauge :x , so I decided to work on the forks.
Chopped down and tacked up.
IMG_5748.jpg

Ground off the bar clamp on the fork cap. Not fun, it was a solid chunk of machined steel tig'd all the way around.
IMG_5751.jpg

Also had some time to remove the kickstand mount, cable mounts, and the top of the seat post.
IMG_5750.jpg

Managed to get the fork legs welded up before running out of wire, decided to call it a day. Maybe next weekend I'll get the sheet metal done.
IMG_5752.jpg

Picked up some 16 gauge, welding wire, and tips this morning so I could make some more progress on this thing.

Sheet metal cut
IMG_5755.jpg

Sheet metal tacked
IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5757.jpg

IMG_5758.jpg

Sheet metal welded
IMG_5759.jpg

Now on to finishing the front end, figuring out handlebars...

Re: No Name Yet (6/21)

Ok, got a little more work done this morning. Cleaned up the welds on the "seat", and decided to leave all the gusset welds alone. It looks kinda cool, and I'm flat out too lazy to smooth them all out :lol: . I've decided to toss out the skinny 27" wheel and go with a 26", it just looks better to me. Not sure about the cranks and chainring just yet.

035.jpg

Digging the gussets. Maybe a Columbia sprocket up front as it looks like gussets.

Yeah, the sprocket is all wrong. I'm gonna see what I can dig up. Cman, you're absolutely right, one of the 5 spoke columbia sprockets would match the gussets, wish I had one :(

Re: No Name Yet (ALMOST A ROLLER)

More baby steps.

Plain Jane ugly sprocket.
IMG_5763.jpg

A little less ugly sprocket.
IMG_5765.jpg

Cheapo bar ends.
IMG_5769.jpg

Weld on drag bars.
IMG_5770.jpg

Almost a roller. My biggest hurtle is finding a die to cut more threads in the steer tube. May have to visit a machine shop.
IMG_5772.jpg

Re: No Name Yet (ALMOST A ROLLER)

necessaryevil said:
Almost a roller. My biggest hurtle is finding a die to cut more threads in the steer tube. May have to visit a machine shop.

You can weld, so here's what I've done before. Remove the fork, cut the steer tube right about the middle of the non threaded part, cut out however much you need to shorter the steer tube to get the threads where you need them. Put a sleeve inside (I've found some black iron pipe fits perfectly) and weld the steer tube back together. I do the same to lengthen steer tubes, just without removing any material.

I realize with the triple tree this might present other unique problems, but I think you've got this one.

Latest posts

Back