No weld fork extension possible?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to extend a fork. I dont have welding experience and even if i did this sounded intriguing to me... someone suggested just cutting the two ends near the middle where its not too thin. Then cutting the steerer tube off another tube and then jamming the ends of the first into the crown of the second. A little more to it but thats the jist.

Has anyone tried this? Will it work with reasonable safety? Would love to see pics. Certainly wont be elegant but it seems like a reasonable solution. Thx!

I don't like the idea of jamming 2 pieces of metal together. Jamming 2 pieces of bread together with real Jam is fine. Use a wilder to jam the metal together.

Its a bad idea, it will fail.

Back in the early 70's I had some add-on extensions that had thru-bolts to attach to the stock dropouts. No matter how tight the bolts, the extensions would work them selves loose eventually. Perhaps you could drill through the legs and extensions, but that would weaken things at the same time as greater stress was being added. I'd go with at least a couple of spot welds. If they can't start moving, they can't come off.

Latest posts

Back