Odyssey Dynatron bb bearings damage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi readers,

So having had some 'annoyances' with a bit of dirt in my bottom bracket bearings in the past, I looked for other types or improvements.

I am talking about the US 'one piece' standard or most used bb bearings.

There are many points why I prefer this 'one piece crank' setup over others, but that is another topic.

After I finished making myself some dustcaps for a klunker build, I saw the "Odyssey Dynatron" sealed BB bearing for one piece cranks.
I thought all my troubles were over.

First assembled a set on my porucho build.

I cycled with this set for about 200km before I started hearing this *kling* noise every few rotations of the crank. I thought that the chain hit a tooth because it is of considerable length.

After removing the one piece crank I saw this:

qZNYMyr.jpeg

Balls out of their cage? Strange.

AFqA9Ng.jpeg

Wy5ToT0.jpeg

BU0ur3C.jpeg

ZeovwxO.jpeg

sLu7w37.jpeg

OiyEMF2.jpeg

ke2inxa.jpeg

hNQoi8r.jpeg

Picture above: outer surface treatment cracking. Signs of deformation.
Trying to note all the options here:
  • Soft outer shells?
  • Surface treatment chipping?
  • User mistake?
  • I used aerospace grade ball bearing grease.
  • One piece crank concentric or Alignment alright?
In my self reflection:
I know how to tighten and adjust bearings:
You tighten them by hand and then return the cup a slight bit. Tighten locking nut and feel the play and how it turns.

I did find it odd how many times I had to adjust it, because there was play in my crank again.
So I contacted Odyssey about cup hardness before, but they told me multiple times that I can return the product where I bought it.

More reflection:
Considering the drive side bearing is toast, maybe I rode with a "too tight" chain? The porucho chain is long and easily slaps against anything (don't worry, other road users were safe :grin: ).
But I can't recall a too tight chain, I would feel that when riding.

Production wise, the cups are made of a soft, ductile steel to press it into shape.
This needs to be hardened afterwards or maybe they thought the surface treatment should suffice.

Does anyone else have such an experience?
Not claiming that all bearings or products are bad. I have a similar Odyssey Dynatron set in my Klunker bike, so far so good. It could handle hard BMX-like acceleration.

Suggestions? Have I missed anything?

To be continued.

Last edited:
There's really only one way such damage could occur, but you'd know about it. I've seen this when the crank was struck laterally with a ton of force. I'm talking being thrown off a roof onto concrete. Chain tension has no bearing(pardon me). I've run those BB's without lubricant for many miles as well.

Some questions:
Did you use the complete BB set or is it a mix of other BB parts.
Is there visible scarring on the crank arm drive side around the spindle area. Anyone else mess with your ride?
What do the bearings look like? I've used the same set. The retainer holds more bearings than stock sets.

I don't believe it's metallurgy, although I can't be sure without more info.
Split BB cups are rare. See far more broken headsets.

My final thought is you initially over tightened the left-hand twist race & lock nuts somehow during installation. I've never done that but I'm eager to try to know what happens.

There's really only one way such damage could occur, but you'd know about it. I've seen this when the crank was struck laterally with a ton of force. I'm talking being thrown off a roof onto concrete. Chain tension has no bearing(pardon me). I've run those BB's without lubricant for many miles as well.

Some questions:
Did you use the complete BB set or is it a mix of other BB parts.
Is there visible scarring on the crank arm drive side around the spindle area. Anyone else mess with your ride?
What do the bearings look like? I've used the same set. The retainer holds more bearings than stock sets.

I don't believe it's metallurgy, although I can't be sure without more info.
Split BB cups are rare. See far more broken headsets.

My final thought is you initially over tightened the left-hand twist race & lock nuts somehow during installation. I've never done that but I'm eager to try to know what happens.

I appreciate you thinking with me! Thank you.

The frame, crank and bearings were all new. This bike is never left alone, so there is no damage that I know of.

I measured the porucho frame and the contact surfaces are nice and perpendicular.

When you overtighten a cup and cone bearing you can feel the wobbly resistance. We overtightened the Shimano (CB-E110) hub once but it lasted for a long time (the Shimano bearing races are very hard).
Maybe a bit confident, but I don't think I made a mistake by overtightening.

The Odyssey Dynatron set was complete, no other parts used, just the original set. You are right Hamqqea, more balls!

After inspecting the cup more, there is a deformed dent in the shape of a ball.

I checked the crankarm if it is straight and not bent. I assembled the bearing cups and tightened the nuts, including lock plate (the one with the notch).
I measured it this way:
lTKZLTk.jpeg

aqugEEy.jpeg

I measured between the cups, a straight surface. This is the only way to check the thread straightness.
It is a few tenths of a milimeter off, but not so much that I am concerned.

OeRjJQM.jpeg

The cone is damaged as well.

I will see how far I will go with investigating this.
My old teacher from school needs broken stuff for microscopic, metallurgic research, so I could ask him.

Another test I will do regarding the crankarm; I still have an oldschool bearingset laying around. I will clean it and use that. Have to fix the bike anyway.

Last edited:
I agree you didn't overtighten. You'd know it. Thanks for the info.
I use the same set. Made in Taiwan, generally better quality stuff. Has the plastic seal.
Always on the search for NOS.
dynatron.jpg

Back