Old bike with late model parts...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm still new to the hobby in regards to bike building but, have plenty of hands on fabrication when it comes to motorcycles and cars... I've got a question [or two]. I've been researching/reading best I can and still fuzzy about interchangeability of bicycle parts... I want to take old and fit with new, more modern pieces. One option is can a guy [or has it been done] go buy a Walmart bike, Craigslist bike, or Ebay bike and cut out the crank & steering head assemblies and using all of the related pieces welding onto a vintage frame? Note, I don't want to take apart a perfect good [or rare] bicycle to do this... The other "option" is to continue researching/reading and play with the trail-n-error method. Any forum thread and/or web links that come to mind that may be of help to me are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Clark

It kinda depends on what type of crank and what size forks you are looking at using.

One piece cranks are "more or less" universial, I have found a few odd balls. But typacally you could take a newer one piece and swap it straight out.

If you are wanting a 3 piece crank set-up, there is an adapter available that replaces the standard bottom bracket cups with 3 piece cups.

On the fork end- The vast majority (if not all) of the older bikes had a 1" fork steer tube. You can find most newer forks with a 1" steer tube can be installed, but you might also need to swap the head cups, bearings or both. Just depends on what exactly you have. If you are wanting to run a 1 1/8" steer tube then I believe it is time to start hacking and welding.

No need to slice-n-splice, most 1-pc coaster type parts are completely interchangeable. You might have to swap entire assemblies, like the hub, or the crankset, and file the front dropouts for a larger axle. There are also custom parts specifically for that purpose, like shims, collars, and one of my faves, the 3-pc adapter. 8) http://www.bikeworldusa.com/product_inf ... cts_id/942

Back