Old downhill-rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

in 1979 a schoolfriend built this bike. He took an old 26-inch-frame, a banana-seat and a 1960´s NSU Quickly-(50cc-motorbike) frontfork with its 23-inch-wheel. One day in May 1980 we went to a 9%-downhill-road and started our "four-man-highspeed-record-trial".

Two guys took place at the banana-seat, in front of them the bike-builder (and rider) was standing, ´cause he couldn´t sit anywhere, and in font of him I placed my bottom at the frame-tube, the legs hanging leftside. Then we rolled down. At a speed of 35mph (I could watch the speedometer) the seatpost left the frame.

The banana-seat turned back and has been placed on top of the rear-fender. Because of the uneven road the guy in front the seat took contact with the frame and cried:"OOOH, MY *** :shock: !!!" The rider tried to slow down, but the weakly little front-brake began to fade at once. The narrow curve to right behind the end of this slope came nearer and nearer.

In the meantime we were running with 50mph, the road got more flat, and at the beginning of this curve the rider had - with help of both red-hot brakes - slowed down on 35mph again. Inside the curve a car came to meet us, and only with a lot of luck we passed it. After this ride I drank my first bottle of beer :lol: . . .

A few weeks later the bike-owner damaged this bike by a silly crash. He was watching to watch, if the girls on the other side of the road were watching him. But they didn´t watch. So he watched and watched . . . and didn´t see the plug on his way . . .*

*: . . then the girls watched :p !

regards, Paul
downhill-bike123.jpg

Back