old royce union

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys. i just got handed this old royce union ladies bike. seems fairly old. as far as i know, nobody seems to have answers about theses bikes, or much history. i know they were relativly cheap bikes, and made in japan... but this one has a union seat on it that says made in holland. as well as a royce union headbadge that says made in west germany? ill get some pics up. not in outstanding shape, but all there. kinda a neat chaingaurd tho :D id be curious whether it would be worth restoring? or should i just have some fun with it? not a bad lookin bike either way.

P6030859.jpg

P6030858.jpg

P6030857.jpg

From what I know, Royce Union was Union Cycle's badge, that they slapped on many different imported bikes. They made pedals for Schwinn too. Not especially collectible, so make something cool out of it, especially with that 'guard!! :mrgreen: -Adam

thanks. yeah idk what im doin yet. it was originally blue then re painted green. soone then rattle canned the front white....im thinkin imma try and save the green and mabey try and run some thick whitewalls on it and leave it pretty much original. i think it looks pretty nice as it is. not trying to sell it or anything. but i was curious as to if it was worth anything. probably not but still worth fixin up . and yeah i love the chaingaurd 2 haha

I think Royce Union/Union Cycle is just a marketing/merchandising firm, and doesn't actually manufacture anything. I recently saw a bike labeled as a Royce Union, which was almost identical to my shop-bought Mongoose. Imported by, and clearly built by, the same people. However, the welds were visible on it, not on the 'goose. Vertical dropouts on the goose, horizontal on the Royce. Adjuster mounts on 'goose threaded, Royce not. Shimano SIS components on the 'goose were labeled, similar parts on the Royce were not.

so if its just a marketing firm could there be another ladies cruiser identical to this except for the headbadge and decals? im only curious because id like to see what it looked like new.

I have a black women's bike with the frame tag on front which says: Union Cycle LTD Royce Union Made in West Germany. It has white handlebars, three speeds, all original except the seat. I'm new to this forum and don't know how to post a photo here, but let me know if you want to see it (and how to post a photo)

jetsetmodern said:
I have a black women's bike with the frame tag on front which says: Union Cycle LTD Royce Union Made in West Germany. It has white handlebars, three speeds, all original except the seat. I'm new to this forum and don't know how to post a photo here, but let me know if you want to see it (and how to post a photo)

Welcome to the forum! I've learned a bit since this old thread was posted. These bikes were built by a collective, called Daimler/Puch/Steyr. They had factories in W. Germany and Austria at the least, and made 90% of these unusual euro-middleweights. Some of the other badges include President, Bauer, Parkliegh, Black Knight, as well as bikes for Sears and other dept. stores. You can upload your pics to a pic site such as photobucket or flickr, and copy the img code and paste it in your posts. -Adam

Back