Old scool pics from my youth!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
Finally after much searching I found the prints I took between 1979 and 1983. The story goes something like this. We moved from one side of town to the other in late '77. Soon after I met some of the neighborhood kids I met this kid who was big into go karts and lawnmowers and stuff. Smart with mechanics but always in some kind of trouble. Mom says steer clear. Did I listen? Nope. So I am at his house one day and and notice this bicycle tucked in the corner of the garage. I ask him about it and he says yeah, I will sell it you for $10. We dicker, I try to trade him some stuff but I don't have $10 of disposable income that my folks don't know about. So, his mom pops out after hearing our conversations and tells me to just take it, no one has ridden it in years. I get this BIG grin on my face and this is where it starts! It was originally Raleigh Green as you can see it a few pics. It enjoyed a few repaints over the 5 years I had it. The flames on the forks were hand painted by me using Testors model paints. The frame enjoyed a coat of Duplicolor automotive Med Green and was then changed to a Navy Blue. I had many different tires on this bike but the White wall was courtesy of my sister's bike when she outgrew it. Note the radio on the steering wheel. Only one around to enjoy FM on there bike. I can still remember hearing Ozzy when the Blizzard of Ozz came out and the DJ was conducting a Hit or Miss poll on the radio and I was thinking this song ROCKS! I enjoyed many, many miles on this bike only to sell it for $40 to a kid who apparently had the same fantasy about cool bicycles I did. Thanks for reading!

Oldscoolchop1.jpg

Oldscoolchop2.jpg

Oldscoolchop3.jpg

Oldscoolchop4.jpg

Oldscoolchop5.jpg

Oldscoolchop6.jpg

I wish I had my old pics ... I had coast to coast 20" and taken a tall sissy bar and attached it to the forks with hose clamps and mounted the tire to the lower holes man it reached out far and it was easy to bend to the angle I wanted ... but as I grew it quickly buckeled with my xtra wieght but for one summer I had the coolest bike in town!

GREAT STORY!! I love it, I like this bike, Ha how well'd that wheelie bar work? ha dude i love it!!

Back