Opinions Needed for concept build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone, I'm new here... my intro is here :D viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42243

With my life long love for bicycles, and the many years of motorcycle custom painting I want to build a 'tribute' bike that signifies the end of my BMX racing while holding true to the many years of motorcycle work.

This is the start, so don't laugh, it gets better below. LOL :wink:

It started out with a stingray chopper to cut up, scaled it into the computer and did a full scale cut with junk vinyl to see what it would look like with myself (5'10") on it using photoshop trickery and multiple photos. Looks like a kids bike... So if anyone wants to build it using most of the stock OCC parts inquire about this full scale cut out.

i-9PLBX2s-M.jpg

Next, after doing some research, finding this AWESOME site, and choppersus with the larger wheels sizes I've come up with the design below.
Top is the stock OCC as pictured above, next is a larger version but it was starting to look to long, so the bottom version is what I'm favoring.
Colors are White with tan leather seat, grips, and leather tank insert with the 'end of the trail' indian picture embossed into it (the tribute part). The tank insert will be about 4" wide with one side that folds open for holding keys, wallet and an insulated water bottle section, foam all wrapped in fiberglass and covered with leather.

i-Fnm7KdF-X2.jpg

With my knowledge of LIPO batteries (RC Helis) and LED lights, the area under the seat will hide batteries that will resemble an oil tank on a motorcycle, and have full lighting. Possible large fenders for more custom painting room. It will also have a removable rear seat for my 7 yr old girl to ride along, not a baby type seat, but motorcycle type step up add on.

This will take some time to put together with my now limited income, however completion is expected to be next year. I'm also trying to locate someone that can roll the tubing for me, more local prefered but I am open to suggestions. My only options here so far are tubing benders, gradual, then smoothing with bondo. :(

I am interested in your thoughts and comments.

Thanks,

Troy

I like the last design, the 26" front and 24" rear gives it that motorcycle look and also makes it look a little more proportional to the rider. 8)

Other differences between the middle and bottom designs... the bottom design has a shorter front to decrease the seemingly long tank area and longer back to make up for the larger rear wheel diameter. Thanks for the comments.

I do have question, as in the bike featured on this page.
http://dailygrindclothing.com/2010/09/c ... -laqueo-2/
Is the low profile wheel done by using a 4" wide wheel and a 3" tire?

Id have to say the 24" rear and 26" front is the way to go!Cool creation :mrgreen:

Number 2....With a 4" tire in the rear, JMO. As far as bending. You could try your local muffler shop, you supply the tube, you have the actual sizing in vinyl, just a thought... COOL looking bike!

i am in for the last design too i really like the design of the tank area

Thanks for the comments, I'll see how quick I can pull this off. It turned from a 'build with what I have' to a build from scratch with all new parts.

Cool design! I like what it's evolved into. Depending on the tubing, you can cold form it over a wooden form. You have to allow for a considerable amount of spring back so the form has to be a tighter radius than the final bend you want. I had success doing this with 0.049" wall thickness 4130 Chromoly on this bike:

5617447_8f217e235a.jpg

Your design has a lot tighter radii, so it might be tricky to pull off this method of forming.

boogieman said:
cool design, can you provide cut-out specs?
I could do a full scale pen plot (sort of like a blueprint). I expect one day for someone to take the design and mass produce it, would be nice if they inquired before just taking it though...

Is this something that could be desired? Full scale cool bike design plans?

DesignIt said:
Cool design! I like what it's evolved into. Depending on the tubing, you can cold form it over a wooden form. You have to allow for a considerable amount of spring back so the form has to be a tighter radius than the final bend you want. I had success doing this with 0.0049" wall thickness 4130 Chromoly on this bike:

Your design has a lot tighter radii, so it might be tricky to pull off this method of forming.

I had thought of this method, and may end up trying it, possibly with a little heat in the tighter areas. What wall thickness is most common in custom bicycles? I'm used to working with heavy stuff. There is a lot of metal fabrication equipment available at my fathers, but a tube roller isn't one of them.

Back