Outskirtscustoms finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaydub said:
I gave a similar bike like that one to a Nephew and it got stolen from his back porch..LOL..Note that fork and disc set up is junk..But it will make someone happy..I pass on bikes like that..
I normally do too but I figured for $10 the tubes would cost me that much so I couldn't go wrong and it was in good shape and if nothing else I could scrap the aluminum for 80% of my money back and add a few parts to my build pile. My nephew loves it though and I'll more than make it up on the next one. :wink: Good karma works.

I was going to the post office and stopped in my local scrapyard to see what got scrapped in the last 24 hours and saw this laying there. I know it's a girl's bike but I asked and he said $5.00 :D It still has the crank, crank cap, and tank so I said heck yeah. I also have a chain guard from a Flightliner so I could put it together if I really wanted to, I'd just have to find a fork and wheels.

I also found out what the unknown tank I had laying around is.

We got TWINS!

First thing is first ALWAYS take the tank off and check for batteries and TAKE THEM OUT!!!

Lucky for me they have not leaked but they are older than dirt!

Kent batteries :!: :?: :!: I wonder if it's the same Kent that makes bikes now.

Well I bought some new batteries and tested the tank's components. One side of the light works, other side needs a bulb. Horn kinda honks but doesn't sound right. Kinda a loud crackling / muffled honk sound? Should I spray some WD-40 inside it? Will that ruin it? Adjust the screw on the back? It still won't work through the battery holder but considering the amount of rust that doesn't surprise me. I might just get a battery tray from Radio Shack and replace the old rusty one with a modern plastic one that will never rust then re-wire it.

Wow, nice score! :D I'm pretty sure the whole crank/sprocket goes for good money 8)

$5 is a good deal no matter what you find.
But frame and tank alone is worth that +$20.
Looks like a meteor flite.
I have tried tapping on the horn and in most cases the rust inside breaks free. Not sure if WD40 will help or hurt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

outskirtscustoms said:
jaydub said:
I gave a similar bike like that one to a Nephew and it got stolen from his back porch..LOL..Note that fork and disc set up is junk..But it will make someone happy..I pass on bikes like that..
I normally do too but I figured for $10 the tubes would cost me that much so I couldn't go wrong and it was in good shape and if nothing else I could scrap the aluminum for 80% of my money back and add a few parts to my build pile. My nephew loves it though and I'll more than make it up on the next one. :wink: Good karma works.

No doubt for 10 bucks you cant go wrong..

I would say you did really well for a $10 bill. And giving him the bike...well that is just priceless! I know I would be all smiles if someone gave me a bike. :D

I saw this cool bike at the antique shop today, it already had a SOLD sign on it but I snapped a few pictures for reference.

Love the leather and spikes on the top tube.

I love this fender light made from a flashlight idea.

Just got this heap on a trade for a 16" bike project I never finished (Dark Pony). He was looking for some parts for his kid's bike so we made a trade and I got this heap of cool Schwinn parts that I need to finish my klunker build. Anyway here it is a 1971 Schwinn Breeze, chrome isn't in bad shape and looks like it will clean up, complete minus cables and shifter, broken shift chain in the sturmey archer 3 speed, 26 x 1 3/8 S-5 wheels, a blade fork WITH BRAKE BOSS, and a nice mag style chain sprocket.

nice bike, thats like most of the 3 speeds I get, the cable gets seized up or something and they take the shifter and everything off. Glad the last light weight I got was a ten speed so all I have to do is order a set of tires and flip it.

Yeah this one will get parted down to finish other bikes, I normally always part down girl's bikes because my fiance and mom already have bikes and I can't get hardly any money out of them unless they are perfect condition and I still take a beating on price. The crank and fork / headset will go on my klunker project, grips will go in my stash of Schwinn grips, fenders and wheels will go in parts stash for that day I'll actually build a lightweight... Probably take the hub out for RaTornado if I can figure out how to mount brakes. Another Schwinn badge will go in my collection, the rest will probably go for sale here when I get time to pull everything out of my shed and list it, and the frame will become another tire hanger :mrgreen: So now I'll have one in Coppertone, one in campus green, and one in black. Just need to find a flamboyant red one, a sky blue one, exc. :lol: Eventually I'll have one for each size of tire and hang them around my shop to keep things organized.

Found this cool wheel the other day, It has a solid tire / tube on it but does have a valve hole to put a pneumatic tire on it. it is 24 x 1 3/8 so it's a size that I can work with. Just got to find an axle to go into it and I'm good to go to put it on a bike.

That's a wheelchair wheel. Theyre my profession. The holes just inside the rim are for mounting hand rims. Tire is a highpro poly (high profile polyurethane).

Onewheelsqueel said:
That's a wheelchair wheel. Theyre my profession. The holes just inside the rim are for mounting hand rims. Tire is a highpro poly (high profile polyurethane).

Cool, that's what I figured. I was kinda thinking it'd be cool to put on a bike project.

Well I was out and about and stopped in my favorite place to shop... You guessed it the scrapyard. Anyway I came across this Univega safari ten road bike. Never heard of Univega. At first I was going to pass on it but as soon as I got home I started thinking about it and the paint is in decent shape and I am smack in the middle of 5 college towns plus have Ivy tech and IU right in my back yard so I thought I'd go ahead and grab it as a flip. Scored it for $12. The rear wheel needs trued, gear shifters are missing a few bolts and screws but I have another set identical to it (when I can find them) but the tires are halfway decent and holding air so it's not all bad. The seat is from a Haro or Hoffman BMX bike so it will get swapped out for one of the hundreds of seats I have laying around. I looked on C-list and seen ones around here going anywhere from $85 to $185 so I think I'll list it at $125 and see what happens. Is my evaluation about right or is it something more special?

Sugino cranks

Suntour stuff

Cool 3d headbadge

Latest posts

Back