P40- SHE'S AWOL!!! Now Showing X-52.5 aka Plan B

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rack looks great!
I like the filler panel, but would suggest painting it and the seattube in such a way that they contrast. Otherwise thereally is a chance that the cool curves will get lost.

Rack looks great!
I like the filler panel, but would suggest painting it and the seattube in such a way that they contrast. Otherwise thereally is a chance that the cool curves will get lost.

Thanks, that is some pretty good advice! The paint work may be the biggest factor in this bike being good or great...

Cool so far! any way you may add a tail to the rack,
93A40-P40-FlyingTiger-KIT-ERetract-2.jpg

maybe like a '49 Caddy tail fin?
917943ab575f6692087010fd1ec0696e.jpg

Yeah, I have been doing a little looking for a small bullet light to go back there.

IMO, Keep the panel, flying tiger or pinup or star with battle scores, all good. I think you might need a propeller too. And guns. And drop tanks. Oooh... and retractable gear! (Ok, maybe that's a bit more difficult to pull off.)
Looking Great! Whatever you end up with, it will be hot no matter what.

IMO, Keep the panel, flying tiger or pinup or star with battle scores, all good. I think you might need a propeller too. And guns. And drop tanks. Oooh... and retractable gear! (Ok, maybe that's a bit more difficult to pull off.)
Looking Great! Whatever you end up with, it will be hot no matter what.

Haha, thanks man. The funny thing is most of those items WILL be part of this build! I will show them as I make progress, but this will definately be my most doo-dad build yet. Miss Funk got me a doo-dad award for my Super-Sonic build, it is a Marilyn Monroe bottle opener. Heck, who knows, that may make it on this bike too.

Awesome quick progress so far!

Luke.
It may look like alot of progress, but I have been planning this bike for some time now. Really just 2 tubes cut, bent, and welded (ground down the welds) and an aluminum panel cut and fitted. I imagine it will take alot longer to fab up the leaf spring fork and be happy with it! I got a long ways to go and a fairly long time to get there unless life jumps up and gets in my way....like it always seems to.

Horsefarmer, thanks for the model picture! I may try using that color combination for a two tone paint job! Could be the contrast I need to show off this girls curves!

Progress was at a snails pace this weekend! The wife decided that we needed to paint the back decks with some 10X restore paint and it was a PAIN!!! But, this evening I figured it was time to start making this leaf spring fork a reality instead of a dream. I took a piece of 2x4 rect. steel and cut, ground, formed a weld on spring bracket.
IMG_2015.JPG

I plan to install the spring under this bracket, so I will need to grind the 3 1/2" or so of the spring down to fit. I think this will look pretty slick with the mount flowing into the spring and staying the same width.

IMG_2014.JPG

Below is a picture of how I formed the mount to match the fork.

IMG_2018.JPG

Welding this in where it notches will help strengthen the mount. Then I will heat and form the legs of the mount to match the curve of the fork and weld it in.

IMG_2016.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2020.JPG

It's all about the lines man. I like that the shark's lower bar is parallel to the chain stays, your rack might be able to run parallel too with a little tweaking. It's a cool build.

Carl.

It's all about the lines man. I like that the shark's lower bar is parallel to the chain stays, your rack might be able to run parallel too with a little tweaking. It's a cool build.

Carl.
Thanks Carl!!

Carl.
I was thinking the same thing.

BTW, that rack is going to be awesome on there!

Last edited:
The AVG (American Volunteer Group or "Flying Tigers") were three squadrons: heck's Angels, Panda, and Adam & Eve. They became numbered squadrons once the USAAF absorbed them. Don't know if that's helpful or not, but I'm kind of a nerd with this stuff, so I'm being nerdy.

If you're looking for bullet tail lights, there are always reproduction 1959 Cadillac lights, though the bullet tail lights I'm using on Interrobang are LED beehive cab clearance lights.

You can also find some decals at the site below. The Panda squadron insignia, Chinese wing/fuselage emblem, and even the blood chit they gave pilots who had to bail out are on different pages somewhere, but they have them:

http://www.military-graphics.com/badges3.html

As an interesting note, the tiger logo was designed by Disney.

I like that fork mount!
If you notch the spring to fit, I would make the change back to full width gradual, otherwise you will get a stress build up at the change and could bend the spring quite easily, especially if it is right at the edge of the mount that the change happens.

Luke.

The AVG (American Volunteer Group or "Flying Tigers") were three squadrons: heck's Angels, Panda, and Adam & Eve. They became numbered squadrons once the USAAF absorbed them. Don't know if that's helpful or not, but I'm kind of a nerd with this stuff, so I'm being nerdy.

If you're looking for bullet tail lights, there are always reproduction 1959 Cadillac lights, though the bullet tail lights I'm using on Interrobang are LED beehive cab clearance lights.

You can also find some decals at the site below. The Panda squadron insignia, Chinese wing/fuselage emblem, and even the blood chit they gave pilots who had to bail out are on different pages somewhere, but they have them:

http://www.military-graphics.com/badges3.html

As an interesting note, the tiger logo was designed by Disney.

Great information, I appreciate it! The caddy tail light has the look that I want, I just wish there was a mini version of it available!

Back