P40- SHE'S AWOL!!! Now Showing X-52.5 aka Plan B

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I remember why these summer build offs are so rough on me. Yards to mow, drag races to go to, cruise ins, cars to work on, general house repairs (wife's idea not mine), vacations to plan, etc etc..........I know, I'm not the only one with these problems and more!! But, I do have some other things that I need to catch up on, so this build will have to slow down for a little while.
I decide that I didn't like the caster bracket rockers so I grabbed some 3/16 plate and made these up, borrowing some styling cues from Murray.

IMG_2061.JPG

I didn't really like the struts straight and the bent seat stays were a little to curvy. So, I took the straight ones and bent them to match the curve of the fork. I can reverse them, so I snapped a pic of them mounted both ways.

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

What do you think? Bow towards the front or the rear? I don't know.......... maybe it doesn't even matter!! I gotta get this front end done!!

I here you on real life getting in the way. Just finished week 1 of 7 straight weeks of biz trips.

I like your compromise on the curves. I think it looks best with the curve opposite of the fork curve in the first pic. It just looks more balanced

What's that little winged spiky piece behind the end of the spring? I like it.

I here you on real life getting in the way. Just finished week 1 of 7 straight weeks of biz trips.

I like your compromise on the curves. I think it looks best with the curve opposite of the fork curve in the first pic. It just looks more balanced

Thanks brother! That's where I am leaning too.

What's that little winged spiky piece behind the end of the spring? I like it.
I think you are seeing things on the shelf behind the bike.....don't get me started thinking about more mods!!!!!

Yeehaw to the Geegaw!

This thing is going to be gorgeous :thumbsup:

Most everything on the front end is cut and fitted now. One final thing to decide, what to do with the fender. Here it is fitted as I would like for it to sit.

IMG_2067.JPG

As you can see, the curve of the fender closely matches the tire/wheel assembly. And I think that I will have to trim about 3-4" off of the bottom to match the rear fender. But, what to do on the front edge? Leave it like it is, cut it even with the truss rods, leave it long and just match the angle of the frame bracket on the fender, or cut it where no fender shows forward of the fork??? Oh yeah, or I could just ditch the front fender all together?????

Most everything on the front end is cut and fitted now. One final thing to decide, what to do with the fender. Here it is fitted as I would like for it to sit.

View attachment 24906

As you can see, the curve of the fender closely matches the tire/wheel assembly. And I think that I will have to trim about 3-4" off of the bottom to match the rear fender. But, what to do on the front edge? Leave it like it is, cut it even with the truss rods, leave it long and just match the angle of the frame bracket on the fender, or cut it where no fender shows forward of the fork??? Oh yeah, or I could just ditch the front fender all together?????
i like with the front fender ! how about pushing it forward 3-4" to the spring rods ?

Nice job on the fork ! :41:

i like with the front fender ! how about pushing it forward 3-4" to the spring rods ?

Nice job on the fork ! :41:
Thanks! Yeah, I have moved the fender there, it looks O.K. but then the indents on the fender are in no mans land. I am leaning towards trimming just a little more and then rounding it to match the fork.

And here it comes, I was working on the details of the front fender tonight and I realized.....there is too much custom work to do on this build for my busy summer. I plan to finish it, but I don't want to rush, and I'm not worried about "placing" in this build off. So "She's in the Army now" is on leave for a while.

Hate to hear that, this was headed to the super cool builds thread. But I look forward to what's next.

Back